The Albuquerque Hispano Chamber of Commerce will award more than $89,000 in scholarships to about 80 students at tonight's Education Excellence Banquet, with a keynote address by famed athlete, author and motivational speaker Kyle Maynard.
The annual event begins at 6 p.m. at the Hyatt Downtown Hotel.
The chamber has been offering college scholarships for nearly 26 years and has provided over $1.5 million in support to local students.
"This scholarship is the perfect opportunity for our students to earn an education focused on leadership -- and one that will give them the opportunity to be part of the next generation of successful New Mexicans," said chamber President and CEO Alex Romero.
Maynard, who was born with arms that end at the elbows and legs near the knees, is a former wrestler and record weightlifter who also has fought in mixed martial arts. He most recently became the first man to crawl on his own to the summit of Mount Kilimanjaro in Africa, earning his second ESPY award from ESPN as Best Male Athlete with a Disability.
His story has been told on "The Oprah Winfrey Show," "Larry King Live," ESPN's "Sportscenter" and "Good Morning America," as well as in USA Today. He is the author of the 2005 New York Times bestseller, "No Excuses."
The event will be emceed by uRock's Joey and Stevo.
"This year's banquet promises to be one of AHCC's greatest ever," said Synthia Jaramillo, director of the chamber's Barelas Economic Opportunity Center.
Contact Jaramillo for more information at 842-9003 or email@example.com.
Most Popular Stories
- Islamic State Obliterating Cultural Landmarks in Mosul
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- Boehner Says Impeachment Talk Is Democrat Scam
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- You're So Vain: Microsoft to Launch First 'Selfie Phone'
- RV Sales See Highest Increase Post Great Recession
- Report: China to Declare Qualcomm a Monopoly
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Anarchy, Chaos Sweep Across Libya