Libya's television channel Al-Jabal has aired a leaked video
showing Sayf al-Islam, the son of fallen Libyan President Mu'ammar
al-Qadhafi, appearing in court for the first time on charges of
jeopardizing the country's national security.
In the trial held in the western town of Zintan, Sayf al-Islam also faced the charges of attempting to escape prison in cahoots with a delegation of the International Criminal Court who visited him in prison in 2012.
In the leaked video, the judge told him he has the right to hire a lawyer or the court will appoint one for him, to which Sayf al- Islam replied that he relies on God's support, according to Al- Jazeera.
The channel showed scenes from the "exclusive footage of the Al- Jabal satellite TV" in which Sayf al-Islam appeared behind bars in court.
Originally published by Al-Jazeera TV, Doha, in Arabic 2100 1 May 13.
(c) 2013 BBC Monitoring Middle East. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- U.S. Families 'Extraordinarily Vulnerable': Yellen
- Hillary Clinton to Address CHCI Conference
- Larry Ellison Steps Down as Oracle CEO
- Alibaba Prices IPO at $68 a Share
- Veterans to Get Training as Solar Panel Installers
- Apple Locks Itself Out of Devices
- Hispanics Doubt Marco Rubio's Chances
- Wildfires Rage in California
- John Cantlie Delivers ISIS Message to Save Life
- Alibaba: Today China, Tomorrow the World