Libya's television channel Al-Jabal has aired a leaked video
showing Sayf al-Islam, the son of fallen Libyan President Mu'ammar
al-Qadhafi, appearing in court for the first time on charges of
jeopardizing the country's national security.
In the trial held in the western town of Zintan, Sayf al-Islam also faced the charges of attempting to escape prison in cahoots with a delegation of the International Criminal Court who visited him in prison in 2012.
In the leaked video, the judge told him he has the right to hire a lawyer or the court will appoint one for him, to which Sayf al- Islam replied that he relies on God's support, according to Al- Jazeera.
The channel showed scenes from the "exclusive footage of the Al- Jabal satellite TV" in which Sayf al-Islam appeared behind bars in court.
Originally published by Al-Jazeera TV, Doha, in Arabic 2100 1 May 13.
(c) 2013 BBC Monitoring Middle East. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Miley Cyrus Performs in Undies After Costume Goes Missing
- FBI Helping Ukraine Recover Stolen Billions
- HBO No Go During 'True Detective' Finale
- Colo. Raises $3.5 Million in Pot Revenue
- Rodman Calls It Quits With Kim Jong Un
- Growth Expected if Congress Passes Budget
- Kim Jong Un Elected in Remarkable Unanimous Vote
- Neil Young Debuts PonoMusic This Week
- Uninsured Rate Continues to Fall