Kanye West took to Twitter on Thursday morning for a major announcement:
And that's it -- no context, no explanation, no additional clues as to what that date might bring.
Is it the release date for his new album, which Pop & Hiss reported Tuesday has been completed? The disc's first single?
Perhaps it's the due date for West and Kim Kardashian's baby. Or a wedding date. Whatever the case, West isn't elaborating (yet).
As the hip-hop pundit Elliott Wilson tweeted early Thursday, "Ambiguity is the new press release."
Adding to the intrigue, West appears to have deleted his previous tweets to make room for the bare-bones bombshell, which was retweeted well over 10,000 times within an hour of its appearance. The rap superstar's Twitter feed has nearly 10 million followers.
West's last solo album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy," came out in 2010, followed in 2011 by "Watch the Throne," his collaboration with Jay-Z, and in 2012 by the "Cruel Summer" compilation featuring artists from his GOOD Music label.
He's scheduled to perform on "Saturday Night Live" on May 18.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- Reid Confident Congress to Pass Immigration Bill
- Maui Visitor Killed in Shark Attack
- Donors Abandon GOP Over Gun Stance
- Mexico: 'Extremely Dangerous' Radioactive Material Stolen
- Climate Change Early Warning System Urged
- CEOs More Optimistic About Economy, Hiring
- Private Sector Employment Surges by 215,000 Jobs
- Wisconsin Gov. Campaign Aide Fired Over Tweets
- Newtown 911 Tapes Being Released Today