Kanye West took to Twitter on Thursday morning for a major announcement:
And that's it -- no context, no explanation, no additional clues as to what that date might bring.
Is it the release date for his new album, which Pop & Hiss reported Tuesday has been completed? The disc's first single?
Perhaps it's the due date for West and Kim Kardashian's baby. Or a wedding date. Whatever the case, West isn't elaborating (yet).
As the hip-hop pundit Elliott Wilson tweeted early Thursday, "Ambiguity is the new press release."
Adding to the intrigue, West appears to have deleted his previous tweets to make room for the bare-bones bombshell, which was retweeted well over 10,000 times within an hour of its appearance. The rap superstar's Twitter feed has nearly 10 million followers.
West's last solo album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy," came out in 2010, followed in 2011 by "Watch the Throne," his collaboration with Jay-Z, and in 2012 by the "Cruel Summer" compilation featuring artists from his GOOD Music label.
He's scheduled to perform on "Saturday Night Live" on May 18.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Cantwell Targets Gender Gap in Small-Business Loans
- Chrysler Gets Nod as a Top Employer for Hispanic Women
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Set Pace in Florida
- Health-care Deal Aids Port Contract Talks
- FBI Probes JPMorgan Hack
- South Korea's Kia to Invest $1 Billion in Mexico
- Perry's Lawyers Try to Close Abuse Case
- Mario Lopez Inks New Clear Channel Deal
- What's the Law for Kids at Gun Ranges?
- Apple Loses Bid to Block Sales of 9 Samsung Phones