Kanye West took to Twitter on Thursday morning for a major announcement:
And that's it -- no context, no explanation, no additional clues as to what that date might bring.
Is it the release date for his new album, which Pop & Hiss reported Tuesday has been completed? The disc's first single?
Perhaps it's the due date for West and Kim Kardashian's baby. Or a wedding date. Whatever the case, West isn't elaborating (yet).
As the hip-hop pundit Elliott Wilson tweeted early Thursday, "Ambiguity is the new press release."
Adding to the intrigue, West appears to have deleted his previous tweets to make room for the bare-bones bombshell, which was retweeted well over 10,000 times within an hour of its appearance. The rap superstar's Twitter feed has nearly 10 million followers.
West's last solo album, "My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy," came out in 2010, followed in 2011 by "Watch the Throne," his collaboration with Jay-Z, and in 2012 by the "Cruel Summer" compilation featuring artists from his GOOD Music label.
He's scheduled to perform on "Saturday Night Live" on May 18.
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists