Longtime digital media veteran Peter Levinsohn will join Universal
Pictures as president and chief distribution officer, overseeing worldwide home
entertainment, new media and digital strategy and international and domestic
Levinsohn spent nearly 25 years at Fox, most recently as president of new media and digital distribution for Fox Filmed Entertainment. He has been credited with striking lucrative deals with such digital distributors as Netflix, Amazon, Apple Inc.'s iTunes and Microsoft Corp.'s Xbox Live.
"Peter is one of the foremost leaders in the space where technology meets entertainment," Universal Pictures Chairman Adam Fogelson said in a statement. "Peter will be a real asset to Universal in meeting the challenges and harnessing the opportunities of an ever-evolving business."
Levinsohn was among the vanguard of traditional media executives to explore the business opportunities presented by the Internet. He served as president of Fox Interactive Media, where he was responsible for the day-to-day operations of News Corp.'s Internet businesses -- which at the time included MySpace, IGN Entertainment, FoxSports.com, AskMen and Photobucket.
Before that, he oversaw worldwide pay television and video-on-demand for 20th Century Fox, and president of digital media for Fox Entertainment Group.
Levinsohn is expected to join Universal on July 1, when he will work alongside other members of the leadership team -- Fogelson, Co-Chairman Donna Langley and Universal Pictures President Jimmy Horowitz. Levinsohn and Horowitz will share responsibility for business development and strategic planning at the film studio.
Nikki Rocco, president of domestic theatrical distribution, will continue to run the company's North American operations and report to Fogelson. Levinsohn also will report to Fogelson
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- How Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrencies Work
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia
- Budget Deal Sets Off Grumbles in Both Houses
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim