Scriptwriters were getting the chance to meet some of their comedy heroes today at a one-day workshop.
De Montfort University's Writers Day was being held in London for the first time.
It was due to include a 90-minute workshop on creating comic characters with Keith Lindsay, who began his sitcom career on Birds Of A Feather and more recently wrote with John Sullivan on three series of his Only Fools And Horses spin-off Green Green Grass.
The keynote speech was to be given by Laurence Marks, whose credits include Goodnight Sweetheart, starring Nicholas Lyndhurst.
This was to be followed by a question-and-answer session led by presenter Jan Gilbert with Jesse Armstrong, co-creator and writer of Peep Show and Fresh Meat and one of the writers behind The Thick Of It and In The Loop.
Organiser Jim Hill, a senior lecturer on De Montfort's television scriptwriting MA course, said: The course is the only one in the country that focuses on writing for television across all genres.
Our Writers Day events illustrate the broad range of visiting lecturers that attend our part-time course.
They act as mentors for our students and are an integral part of our graduates network in an increasingly competitive industry. Special guests James Cary, a television and radio writer who has contributed to several episodes of Miranda, Josh Cole, a development executive with Big Talk Productions, and Adam Riches, winner of the Fosters Edinburgh Comedy Award, will also be answering questions. First-year student Hayley Pepler, 35, will be attending the workshops. She said: It's a great opportunity to learn from people who are at the top of their careers and get some insights into how they made their ideas and vision into a reality.
I'm really excited about it. The course has been fantastic in giving us the chance to meet people from the industry.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Twitter Coming to Phones Without Internet
- Entravision Initiates Quarterly Cash Dividend
- NASA Fellowships, Scholarships Bring Diversity to Workforce
- Dish Network Leads 2013 Top 50 Advertisers List
- Warner Bros. Unleashes 'Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug' Merchandise
- Shanghai Smog Forces Factory Shutdowns
- Amanda Bynes Enrolls in California's FIDM
- How to Arm Yourself Against CryptoLocker Virus
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines