MOST to-do lists include jobs like recycling, shopping or exercising - but one Beeston woman has set herself a much more challenging set of tasks.
Helen Connolly, 29, has put together a bucket list of things to do before she is 30 in July in a bid to raise money for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Today, she will embark on a film marathon at Showcase Cinemas, watching at least six films back-to-back from when the cinema opens at 10.45am until when the last film finishes at 2.24am.
Helen, who is an assistant brand manager at Boots, said: I'm thrilled that Showcase is supporting me in my next challenge. The 30 things before 30 concept started as I began to think of all these fantastic ideas that I've always wanted to achieve but been too scared to do, like giving blood which I've always been afraid of.
Macmillan Cancer Support is a cause that is close to my heart as several family members and close friends have either died from or been diagnosed with cancer. What better way to gear up to a milestone birthday than by raising money? Helen added: I'm really up for challenges and doing something different at the moment.
I've started saying yes a lot more.
Some of the things I'm doing like milking a cow are a bit easier and came from suggestions from friends, but others are bigger and will push me.
I just think it is great to have something to look back on when I'm older and to think 'wow I did all those things'.
Helen will watch five films - All Stars, Fast and Furious 6, The Croods, The Great Gatsby and Iron Man 3. Other challenges on Helen's list include flying a plane, skydiving, milking a cow and learning to surf.
Things she's ticked off the list so far: give blood, take a penalty, meet a teenage idol (Sean from 5ive), dye hair pink, drink a pint of Guinness, be part of the audience of a TV show, do a somersault and watch a whole series of TV series 24 in one go.
Helen aims to raise Pounds 1,000 for Macmillan Cancer Support.
Donations can be made at www.justgiving.com/helens30things and her progress can be followed through Twitter at @helenconnolly29.
The 30 things to do before Helen is 30...
1) Skydive 2) Learn to play a musical instrument 3) Go to the opera/ballet 4) Drive a sports car 5) Meet a teenage idol 6) Kick a penalty on a league club football pitch 7) Get on TV/be in the audience of a TV show 8) Meet someone famous 9) Watch a whole series of 24 in one go 10) Film marathon at the cinema 11) Ice-skate in a onesie 12) Milk a cow 13) Make pottery on a wheel 14) Dye hair a crazy colour 15) Do a somersault 16) Learn a magic trick/illusion 17) Food challenge 18) Run 5K, 30 times 19) Get name in the paper 20) Watch the sun rise on summer solstice 21) Drink a pint of Guinness 22) Fly a plane 23) Learn the words to a rap song and perform 24) Learn to surf 25) Be a mascot 26) Learn how to dive 27) Write a children's book 28) Learn how to say a certain word in 30 languages 29) Read a classic book 30) Give blood Helen's top five favourite films 1) Dirty Dancing 2) All Harry Potter films 3) Ted 4) The Hunger Games 5) Skyfall
WHAT WOULD BE ON YOUR LIST? Do you have a bucket list of things to do? Join the debate at thisisnottingham.co.uk
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low
- Why Buffett Bets Big on Green Energy
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO