May 18--TRAVERSE CITY -- Claudia Schmidt will perform in an "On the Porch" concert at Sleder's Family Tavern on Sunday, May 19.
For nearly four decades, Schmidt has been exploring the nuances of acoustic music with her voice, 12-string guitar and mountain dulcimer. She has been featured on Public Radio International's "A Prairie Home Companion" and "Mountain Stage." Appearing in a television documentary called "I Sing Because I Can't Fly," she has written music for and acted in the musical, "Bag Lady Tendencies" with Friends Mime Theater in Milwaukee and Frank Galati's production of "Good Person of Szechuan" at the Goodman Theater in Chicago, for which she won a Jefferson Award.
Schmidt has been featured in 14 of her own CDs along with collaborations with other musicians. Before relocating to Minneapolis, Schmidt was active in the Traverse City music scene.
Tickets for the 4 p.m. show are $15 in advance from Brilliant Books, Oryana Food Cooperative, West Side Beverage and Sleder's in Traverse City, or $20 at the door. For more information or to buy tickets, call 947-9213.
(c)2013 The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.)
Visit The Record-Eagle (Traverse City, Mich.) at record-eagle.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- Confusion, Anger as Sunken Ferry's Relatives Wait
- Iran Denounces U.S. Ruling to Sell Property