El Paso cultural icon Rosa Guerrero is raising money to help Hector
"Pipo" Barragan, a longtime barber whose 37-year-old hairstyling academy burned
The Pipo Academy of Hair Design trained thousands of hairstylists over the decades in the Five Points neighborhood. The two-story building was destroyed in a fire that firefighters fought for eight hours early Friday.
Guerrero on Tuesday set up a fund to help Barragan. Donations can be made at any GECU branch to Account No. 588440 under the name Hector "Pipo" Barragan.
Guerrero is a motivational speaker, educator and dancer who founded the International Folklorico Dance Group.
She is in the El Paso Commission for Women Hall of Fame and the Texas Women's
Hall of Fame.
"We were born to love, to serve and to give. I was taught that by my mother," said Guerrero, who has known the Barragan family since the 1950s.
"All the ex-Tigers of El Paso High, all my students I have taught in El Paso, if they know me, if they know about me and my work in the community, I am asking them to give to Pipo," Guerrero said.
The Barragan family once owned dozens of hair salons and barbershops around El Paso. The Pipo Academy of Hair Design opened in 1976.
Barragan is a former bullfighter and also owns El Pipo Barber College. He told Channel 14-KFOX that he didn't know what he was going to do after the fire destroyed the building, which also housed apartments and a bar.
Department spokesman George De La Torre said that the cause of the fire has not been determined.
"Right now, there is nothing that has been taken off the table," De La Torre said. "It could have been arson. It could have been accidental. It's still under investigation."
(c)2013 the El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas)
Visit the El Paso Times (El Paso, Texas) at www.elpasotimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief