Whether he's facing off against Captain Kirk in "Star Trek Into Darkness" or donning a period costume, Benedict Cumberbatch is definitely the sexiest man alive whose name sounds like a Monty Python character. If you're developing a Cumbercrush on him, here are six roles to savor.
"Sherlock" (2010-present): Fans have swooned for what the New York Times calls his "appealingly playful arrogance" in this contemporary adaptation of the classic detective yarns on PBS's "Masterpiece Mystery!"
"The Simpsons" (2013): Cumberbatch's gift for comedy was on display in a Valentine-themed episode where he was the voice of the British prime minister and impersonated Alan Rickman's Severus Snape from the "Harry Potter" movies.
"War Horse" (2011): He showed his knack for conveying the stony English stiff-upper-lip attitude as Major Jamie Stewart, a military commander in Steven Spielberg's World War I epic.
"Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy" (2011): In this intricate espionage tale based on the John le Carre novel, Cumberbatch helped Gary Oldman's George Smiley investigate the possibility of a mole hidden in the ranks of British intelligence.
"Atonement" (2007): Americans were introduced to the actor through this star-crossed romantic drama starring Keira Knightley and James McAvoy. As an ominous houseguest, Cumberbatch oozes the menacing privilege of high society.
"Hawking" (2004): He earned rave reviews for this BBC drama about brilliant physicist Stephen Hawking's early years at college and battle against a debilitating medical diagnosis that couldn't limit his unfettered mind.
(c)2013 Detroit Free Press
Visit the Detroit Free Press at www.freep.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Bundy Ranch Standoff Has Spurred Radical Right
- Emmys: 'Orange' Marks Break From Sitcoms
- Repubs to Sue Obama for Delaying Obamacare
- Fed Vice Chair Fischer: Care Needed to Avoid Crisis
- Thousands of Children Dragged Into U.S. Political Bickering
- Union Pulls Support of UNCF Over Koch Gift
- Dems Float Long-Shot Effort to Curb Campaign Cash
- Border Crisis Could Lead to Faster Deportations
- Portugal Bank Fears Spark Selloff
- Kerry in Afghanistan to Meet Candidates