May 15--Jason Boland's happy to be back at the Cain's Ballroom on Friday with his band The Stragglers.
This time, too, the longtime Red Dirt musician bringing something new to this historic venue.
It'll be his new album, "Dark and Dirty Mile," which dropped May 14.
Boland's ready to blast new music in Friday's show.
Expect at least half a dozen new tunes to dust the Red Dirt acts set, Boland said during a phone interview while on the road, heading to a gig in Houston.
"We always play a mix of everything," he said. "There's nothing permanent about one of our sets. Things change, guests may appear out of nowhere and mix things up. We're a live band, and we live to play live music -- it has to stay spontaneous."
And this band's learned in its long history that anything is possible. It's constant is music. Lots and lots of live music.
Jason Boland & The Stragglers formed in Harrah in 1998 and has released seven studio albums and two live albums. It quickly melded into Oklahoma's rich Red Dirt scene, one that blends old music tradition with new, rock with country, blues with folk and Americana -- and a wholly independent spirit.
"We play this music because we're fans of good music," he said. "This is the stuff we listened to growing up, the music that has inspired us and that inspires us. ... This is the area's music. It's the state's music.
"We cook our own food with our own recipes. We do what we know and add local flavor."
Read the rest of the story in Thursday's Tulsa World.
(c)2013 Tulsa World (Tulsa, Okla.)
Visit Tulsa World (Tulsa, Okla.) at www.tulsaworld.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Cheap Gas Drives Down U.S. Wholesale Prices Again
- Bitcoin or Bad Coin? Warnings Mount Against Virtual Currency
- Expanding Medicaid Creates Jobs: Study
- Producer Price Index Dropped in November
- Robert Levinson Was on CIA Mission
- Beyonce Releases New Album With No Marketing
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- 'Dreamers' Hope for Permanent Immigration Status