Dismal sales of the first smartphone to ship with Facebook Home pre-installed
have led AT&T to discontinue selling the phone, a tech website has reported.
Consumers have purchased only about 15,000 of the HTC First phone through last week, and sales did not pick up even when AT&T dropped the 2-year contract price from $99 to 99 cents after just a month of the phone being available, Boy Genius Report said.
Facebook Home, whether pre-installed as in the case of the HTC First or offered as an app through the Google Play store, has failed to garner any consumer interest amid poor reviews.
Boy Genius Report says AT&T has not only stopped selling the First but is returning unsold inventory to HTC.
Both Facebook and HTC have declined to comment, it said.
The failure of the First comes as HTC is struggling to survive, having just reported a 98 percent fall in first-quarter income, its sixth consecutive quarter in decline, InformationWeek reported.
Most Popular Stories
- #myNYPD Twitter Campaign Backfires for NYPD
- Justin Bieber's War Shrine Pic Causes Flap
- First Lady Announces Job Site for Veterans
- Wellness Programs Grow More Popular With Employers
- Tesla Expanding its California Operations
- Google, SunPower Team Up on Solar Power
- Boeing Flying High With Strong First Quarter
- Procter & Gamble Income Up on Cost Cutting
- Retirement: Why $1 Million Won't Be Enough
- FedEx Sued Over Deadly California Bus Crash