A $300,000 grant from the California Energy Commission to
Santa Clara County will be matched with $900,000 in county funds to install a
compressed natural gas (CNG) fueling station at the Fleet Management Facility at
2265 Junction Ave. in San Jose.
A single CNG dispenser will be installed for use by buses and smaller vehicles. The station should be completed by 2015 and accessible to the public 24/7.
"Natural gas is one of the cleanest and most abundant sources of fuel," said Supervisor Ken Yeager, president of the Santa Clara County Board of Supervisors. "By installing a Compressed Natural Gas fueling station, we are encouraging the use of CNG vehicles to help decrease greenhouse gases and pollution in our area."
It's estimated that a CNG vehicle emits 20 percent to 30 percent fewer greenhouse gases and 95 percent less particulate matter than the equivalent gasoline or diesel-powered vehicle.
Currently, there are five CNG stations in the county: at PG&E, 308 Stockton Ave., San Jose; San Jose Airport, 2151 Airport Blvd., San Jose (open 24/7); San Jose School District, 2222 Unified Way, San Jose; Specialty Solid Waste, 3351 Thomas Road, Santa Clara, and at PG&E, 10900 N. Blaney Ave., Cupertino.
The county has a fleet of 2,500 vehicles and a goal to convert 25 percent of its vehicles to CNG within 10 years. By doing so, the county will decrease its use of petroleum by 333,375 gallons per year.
(c)2013 the San Jose Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.)
Visit the San Jose Mercury News (San Jose, Calif.) at www.mercurynews.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- 2016 Camaro Shrinks, Moves to Caddy Platform
- More Hispanic Voters May Not Mean More Clout
- Eric Garcia Appointed as Revenue Chief
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- New Effort to Ban Child Labor From Tobacco Farms
- Apple Pay Debuts With Few Issues
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Government: 500 Million Records Stolen in 12 Months
- Pistorius Gets 5-year Sentence in Shooting Death
- Mom Makes Toys R Us Pull 'Breaking Bad' Dolls