One of Belize's largest Mayan pyramids, which
survived more than two thousand years of environmental hazards, has been largely
destroyed by heavy equipment belonging to a local construction company seeking
gravel for road fill.
The head of the Belize Institute of Archaeology said the destruction was
discovered late last week, and only a small portion of the centre of the pyramid
mound was left standing.
"This is one of the worst that I have seen in my entire 25 years of archaeology
in Belize," John Morris, an archaeologist with the Institute of Archaeology,
told Channel 7 News in Belize. "We can't salvage what has happened out here --
it's an incredible display of ignorance. I am appalled and don't know what to
say at this particular moment."
Jaime Awe, director of the Institute of Archaeology, said he was sickened by the
destruction of the Noh Mul pyramid and temple platform, which date back about
2,500 years. He told Channel 7 News it was "intolerable."
The Noh Mul complex sits on private land, but Belizean law states any
pre-Hispanic ruins are under government protection.
Morris said that the construction company must have been aware of the site's
significance.
"There is absolutely no way that they would not know that these are Maya
Mounds," he said.
___
(c)2013 the Caribbean News Now (Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands)
Visit the Caribbean News Now (Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands) at
www.caribbeannewsnow.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- iPhone 6 'Appears' on Vodafone U.K. Store as '4G iPhone 6'
- Fox, Twitter join in promotional partnership
- Summer Movie Forecast: Biggest Box Office Season Yet for 3D Movies
- Boman Modine Launches Kickstarter Campaign for Film About Cystic Fibrosis
- Fox, Twitter Team Up to Promote TV Shows, Sell Ads
- Hispanics Wanted in STEM Careers
- Microsoft Windows Update Will Be Free
- One Hot Summer as Theater Season Opens
- Cinedigm and Universal Studios Home Entertainment Enter Into Multiyear Home Entertainment Distribution Relationship
- Oak Cliff Film Festival announces lineup
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Mayan Pyramid Bulldozed in Belize
May 14, 2013
Advertisement
Source: Copyright Caribbean News Now (Grand Cayman) 2013
Story Tools



