Several indicators reveal that the next episode of confrontation over the U.S. federal budget will be postponed, because the government is spending less and it is also receiving more revenue. That is, the red ink in the accounts of the government is decreasing.
The expectation was that, given the expiration of the debt ceiling, supposedly by May 19, Congress and the White House would engage in another episode of intense negotiations, similar to what was known by the end of last year as the fiscal cliff.
However, the federal government does not need to request authorization from Congress to increase the borrowing limit until the end of the summer, and perhaps not until Oct. 1. The reason is that the government is spending less in defense and in domestic programs, because of the budget cuts that started in January.
Additionally, revenue is increasing because of higher taxes and payments to the federal government of funds received by rescued financial institutions.
In February, the bipartisan Congressional Budget Office estimated that this fiscal year's federal budget deficit will reach $845 billion, less than the $1.1 trillion in fiscal year 2012.
In this context, it becomes less urgent to negotiate a budget agreement. The immediate threat of a government shutdown has vanished for the time being.
Isaac Cohen is an international analyst and consultant, a commentator on economic and financial issues for CNN en Espaņol TV and radio, and a former director, UNECLAC Washington Office.
It's not too late to submit your company for the 2013 HispanicBusiness 500! Just visit https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NSYJKM7.
Check out the 2013 Top 25 Hispanic Nonprofits -- they're on a roll, despite continued hard economic times..
Most Popular Stories
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Report: Next Iran Nuclear Talks Set for New York
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter
- GOP Making Bold Play for Oregon Senate Seat