OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/14/13 -- The Harper Government, in partnership with the Government of Quebec and GlaxoSmithKline Inc., is strengthening Canada's pandemic flu vaccine production capacity with significant investments into the manufacturer's facility in Sainte-Foy, Quebec.
"The Harper Government is committed to protecting the health and safety of Canadians and their families," said Jacques Gourde, Member of Parliament for Lotbiniere - Chutes-de-la-Chaudiere on behalf of the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq, Minister of Health. "Our Government continues to work with industry partners such as GlaxoSmithKline Inc., to ensure that Canadians have rapid, priority access to pandemic vaccine in the event of an influenza pandemic."
The Harper Government has contracted GlaxoSmithKline to provide vaccines in the event of an influenza pandemic. Since it can take several months to develop a safe and effective vaccine that protects against a pandemic influenza virus, having strong production capacity is vitally important.
GlaxoSmithKline's modernized fill-line will more than double its pandemic vaccine production capacity from 14 million doses per month to 33 million doses per month by November 2014. This means that during an influenza pandemic, once a vaccine is developed, it can be produced and made available to every Canadian faster.
Vaccines are the cornerstones of Canada's plan for responding to a pandemic and for the prevention of seasonal flu. The Harper Government's significant investment reinforces its commitment to supporting immunization in Canada as a fundamental tool for preventing influenza outbreaks and pandemic.
Egalement offert en francais.
Office of the Honourable Leona Aglukkaq
Federal Minister of Health
Public Health Agency of Canada
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study