The drought that caused record wildfires in California and
other Western states last year is expected to persist through the summer, but
fewer firefighters will battle this year's blazes in other regions because of
federal budget cuts, top federal officials said Monday.
The U.S. Forest Service will hire 500 fewer firefighters this year, the result
of "line by line" budget reductions required by Congress, Agriculture Secretary
Tom Vilsack said in a conference call with reporters. The reduced staffing also
means 50 fewer fire engines will be available, Vilsack said.
Vilsack and Interior Secretary Sally Jewel said much of the West would face
severe fire danger this summer.
"We will no doubt be seeing some fires of significant size," Vilsack said.
The Interior Department is also expected to cut its firefighting forces.
The Forest Service hires firefighters in spring and retains them through fall,
Tom Harbour, the Forest Service's national director of fire and aviation
management, said in an interview Monday. Last year, when 9.3 million acres
burned in the United States, the Forest Service hired 10,500 firefighters. The
Interior Department fielded another 2,500.
California is expected to be the most imperiled of the dry Western states. The
state this year has received only 25% of the rainfall that it received in the
same period for 2012, National Interagency Fire Center fire analyst Jeremy
Sullens said. Other states expected to be hit hard are Arizona, New Mexico,
Oregon and Idaho, along with portions of other states.
Because of the danger California is in, the Forest Service does not plan to
reduce hiring there, Harbour said. The reductions will more likely affect
Eastern states, where the danger is less serious this year.
The Forest Service was required to cut $50 million from a fire preparedness fund
under across-the-board budget cuts implemented this year, which affected nearly
every government agency.
The Forest Service has a contingency plan that would allow it to hire additional
firefighters throughout the fire season, including training new firefighters and
potentially bringing in National Guard or members of the military, Harbour said.
In previous years when more firefighters have been needed, the Forest Service
has shifted money out of accounts for things such as road maintenance,
campgrounds, wildlife and range management programs, Harbour said. He expects
the agency will be able to do so again.
"We're going to keep fighting fire," he said.
___
(c)2013 the Los Angeles Times
Visit the Los Angeles Times at www.latimes.com
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Summer Movie Forecast: Biggest Box Office Season Yet for 3D Movies
- Fox, Twitter Team Up to Promote TV Shows, Sell Ads
- One Hot Summer as Theater Season Opens
- Hispanics Wanted in STEM Careers
- Nikki Hill Brings Raw Energy to Roanoke
- Cinedigm and Universal Studios Home Entertainment Enter Into Multiyear Home Entertainment Distribution Relationship
- iPhone 6 'Appears' on Vodafone U.K. Store as '4G iPhone 6'
- Guitar Center Sessions Updates on New Episodes Featuring The Smashing Pumpkins, Goo Goo Dolls, OneRepublic and Talib Kweli
- Boman Modine Launches Kickstarter Campaign for Film About Cystic Fibrosis
- OSN Strengthens Regional Footprint With New Flagship Showroom in Kuwait
News-To-Go
Advertisement
Advertisement
News Column
Budget Cuts Mean Fewer Firefighters Despite Increased Risk
May 14, 2013
Wes Venteicher
Advertisement
Source: Copyright Los Angeles Times 2013
Story Tools



