The Pocono Record asked members of the community what advice they could
give to college graduates headed into the real world.
This is the third in a series of the pearls of wisdom offered by community leaders.
The series concludes Saturday, the day of East Stroudsburg University's graduation ceremonies.
Q: What do you wish you had known back then, and now know?
A: I wish that I had started planning earlier and utilized my college's career services office more. Career services offices/centers offer a wealth of resources and information to assist students with their job search, and many offer services to their alumni. NCC's Career Services Office provides services to our alums on a lifetime basis.
Q: What other advice do you have to offer newly minted college graduates?
A: Networking is so important in your job search and your career. You can't just sit at your computer and apply for jobs online. You have to get out and connect with people. Keep in touch with people and cultivate relationships, don't just wait until you're looking for a job to make those connections. Also, internships are extremely valuable to gain real-world experience, strengthen your skills, make professional connections, and to see if you really like the field you're thinking you want to pursue. Your first job will most likely not be your dream job, and it probably won't be your last job. Learn from each experience what you like to do and what you don't. Each experience will provide an opportunity to build skills and knowledge.
Q: What one thing should they buy with their graduation money that will make a difference?
A: I would advise new college graduates to put some of their graduation money away for the future.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Potential Snags to the Bipartisan Budget Deal
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- U.S. Home Construction Hammers Out 5-Year High
- From Fiscal Cliff to Female Head of GM: 2013 in Review
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Budget Deal on Brink of Passing in Senate
- Apple: Disney Animation iPad App Best of 2013
- China Provokes Bitcoin Crash
- Mega Millions Winning Tickets Sold in Atlanta, San Jose
- Wine Collector Convicted of Making Fake Vintages