MONTERREY, MEXICO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/13/13 -- Fomento Económico Mexicano, S.A.B. de C.V. (NYSE: FMX) (BMV: FEMSAUBD) (BMV: FEMSAUB) ("FEMSA") announced today that its retail subsidiary FEMSA Comercio has acquired Farmacias FM Moderna, a leading drugstore operator in the western state of Sinaloa. This transaction follows the recent acquisition of a controlling stake in Farmacias Yza in the southeast of Mexico, as FEMSA Comercio advances in its strategy to establish a relevant position in this attractive small-box retail segment.
Headquartered in the city of Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Farmacias FM Moderna currently operates over one hundred stores.
FEMSA is a leading company that participates in the beverage industry through Coca-Cola FEMSA, the largest franchise bottler of Coca-Cola products in the world; in the retail industry through FEMSA Comercio, operating OXXO, the largest and fastest-growing chain of small-format stores in Latin America, and in the beer industry, through its ownership of the second largest equity stake in Heineken, one of the world's leading brewers with operations in over 70 countries.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study