MONTERREY, MEXICO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/13/13 -- Fomento Económico Mexicano, S.A.B. de C.V. (NYSE: FMX) (BMV: FEMSAUBD) (BMV: FEMSAUB) ("FEMSA") announced today that its retail subsidiary FEMSA Comercio has acquired Farmacias FM Moderna, a leading drugstore operator in the western state of Sinaloa. This transaction follows the recent acquisition of a controlling stake in Farmacias Yza in the southeast of Mexico, as FEMSA Comercio advances in its strategy to establish a relevant position in this attractive small-box retail segment.
Headquartered in the city of Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Farmacias FM Moderna currently operates over one hundred stores.
FEMSA is a leading company that participates in the beverage industry through Coca-Cola FEMSA, the largest franchise bottler of Coca-Cola products in the world; in the retail industry through FEMSA Comercio, operating OXXO, the largest and fastest-growing chain of small-format stores in Latin America, and in the beer industry, through its ownership of the second largest equity stake in Heineken, one of the world's leading brewers with operations in over 70 countries.
Most Popular Stories
- Florida Warns Beach-goers About Flesh-eating Bacteria
- Sutherland Responds to 'Unprofessional' Jibe
- LivePro Is a Mobile Hot Spot, Projector in One
- Islamic State Fights for Control of Syrian Oil Wealth
- Adrienne Bailon Disses Ex-Lover Rob Kardashian
- How to Fit Green Energy Into Your Portfolio
- Sanctions Will Hit Russia Hard if Not Lifted Quickly
- U.S. Economy Grows at Fastest Pace in 10 Years
- Business Leaders Set for CHCC Convention
- Jerry Brown Favors More Shelters for Immigrant Kids