MONTERREY, MEXICO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/13/13 -- Fomento Económico Mexicano, S.A.B. de C.V. (NYSE: FMX) (BMV: FEMSAUBD) (BMV: FEMSAUB) ("FEMSA") announced today that its retail subsidiary FEMSA Comercio has acquired Farmacias FM Moderna, a leading drugstore operator in the western state of Sinaloa. This transaction follows the recent acquisition of a controlling stake in Farmacias Yza in the southeast of Mexico, as FEMSA Comercio advances in its strategy to establish a relevant position in this attractive small-box retail segment.
Headquartered in the city of Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Farmacias FM Moderna currently operates over one hundred stores.
FEMSA is a leading company that participates in the beverage industry through Coca-Cola FEMSA, the largest franchise bottler of Coca-Cola products in the world; in the retail industry through FEMSA Comercio, operating OXXO, the largest and fastest-growing chain of small-format stores in Latin America, and in the beer industry, through its ownership of the second largest equity stake in Heineken, one of the world's leading brewers with operations in over 70 countries.
Most Popular Stories
- High-Tech Home Theaters Undergoing a Revolution
- Nestle, Superior Grocers Promote Healthy Meals
- Bernanke Wishes He'd Explained the Crisis Better
- Hollywood Bets Big Again on Summer Movies
- Ellen DeGeneres Producing HGTV Series
- Stocks See 6th Gain in a Row on Solid Earnings
- China Slows Down: The Cohen Column
- EPA Eases Back on Biofuels Mandate
- Biden Leaves Ukraine as Russian Invasion Threat Rises
- IRS Awards Bonuses to Employees Who Owe Back Taxes