MONTERREY, MEXICO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/13/13 -- Fomento Económico Mexicano, S.A.B. de C.V. (NYSE: FMX) (BMV: FEMSAUBD) (BMV: FEMSAUB) ("FEMSA") announced today that its retail subsidiary FEMSA Comercio has acquired Farmacias FM Moderna, a leading drugstore operator in the western state of Sinaloa. This transaction follows the recent acquisition of a controlling stake in Farmacias Yza in the southeast of Mexico, as FEMSA Comercio advances in its strategy to establish a relevant position in this attractive small-box retail segment.
Headquartered in the city of Mazatlan, Sinaloa, Farmacias FM Moderna currently operates over one hundred stores.
FEMSA is a leading company that participates in the beverage industry through Coca-Cola FEMSA, the largest franchise bottler of Coca-Cola products in the world; in the retail industry through FEMSA Comercio, operating OXXO, the largest and fastest-growing chain of small-format stores in Latin America, and in the beer industry, through its ownership of the second largest equity stake in Heineken, one of the world's leading brewers with operations in over 70 countries.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Yahoo Struggles Despite Alibaba Boost
- Chevrolet's Small SUV Coming to the U.S.
- Is This Job Too Good to Be True?
- Neil Young Closes Kickstarter Campaign for PonoMusic
- Castro Named as a Caress Fabulista
- Rapper Cuts Off Own Penis, Jumps Off Building in Failed Suicide