OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 05/12/13 -- The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, and the Honourable Kerry-Lynne Findlay, Q.C., Associate Minister of National Defence and Member of Parliament for Delta-Richmond East, today issued the following statement on the occasion of Mother's Day:
"Each year on the second Sunday of May, Canadians take time to recognize and thank mothers for all that they do. On this day we want to take a moment to pay special attention to the mothers who make up a part of the Canadian Armed Forces family.
"We would like to extend our most sincere gratitude to mothers within the ranks of the Department of National Defence and the Canadian Armed Forces, and the wives, partners and mothers of Canadian Armed Forces personnel past and present.
"Motherhood is no easy task, and for mothers within the Canadian Armed Forces family extra effort is required to maintain family togetherness. Mothers within the Canadian Armed Forces often have to sacrifice time with their families in the service of their country, going on training exercises, working long hours and deploying far from home.
"The wives and partners of Canadian Armed Forces personnel also face unique challenges, taking on increased responsibility for children when their partner deploys, sometimes for months at a time. We would like to thank you for your perseverance and commitment to facing these difficult situations.
"We pay tribute to the women who share so many important moments with us, shaping our lives and society. We wish all mothers a happy Mother's Day and thank you for your compassion , encouragement, support and guidance."
Most Popular Stories
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Chinese May Have Spotted Malaysia Airlines Debris
- Social Media Causee Sleep Deprivation in Students
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Unexpectedly
- Banks Buying Little From Minority Firms: Study
- General Electric Plans IPO of Credit Card Unit
- SXSW Crash Kills 2, Injures 23
- U.S. Business Inventories Up, Retail Sales Down
- 'Candy Crush' Maker Files IPO
- First-time U.S. Jobless Claims Hit 3-month Low