Washington (dpa) - The West Wing of the White House was briefly
evacuated early Saturday after a smoke alarm went off.
"An electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm," an official said.
"The transformer problem was quickly resolved. Electricity and personnel access to the West Wing has returned to normal."
The official said that President Barack Obama and his family were unaffected.
Reporters and photographers were evacuated just after 7 a.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- Job Fair for S.C. Grads
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- China's Money Rate Drops on Slowdown Concern
- Millennials Favor Saving Over Investing: UBS