Washington (dpa) - The West Wing of the White House was briefly
evacuated early Saturday after a smoke alarm went off.
"An electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm," an official said.
"The transformer problem was quickly resolved. Electricity and personnel access to the West Wing has returned to normal."
The official said that President Barack Obama and his family were unaffected.
Reporters and photographers were evacuated just after 7 a.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists
- Steris to Add 100 Jobs in Birmingham
- Clinton Rallies New England Women
- Market Jolt Offers a Reality Check for Investors
- Stocks Close Out Best Week in Nearly 2 Years
- Do Voters Want Compromise?
- Timeline for New York Ebola Doctor
- Microsoft Earnings Drive Stocks Higher
- Ebola in New York, Mali Raises Travel Jitters
- 'Kissing Congressman' Admits Mistake in Reelection Bid