Washington (dpa) - The West Wing of the White House was briefly
evacuated early Saturday after a smoke alarm went off.
"An electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm," an official said.
"The transformer problem was quickly resolved. Electricity and personnel access to the West Wing has returned to normal."
The official said that President Barack Obama and his family were unaffected.
Reporters and photographers were evacuated just after 7 a.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go