Washington (dpa) - The West Wing of the White House was briefly
evacuated early Saturday after a smoke alarm went off.
"An electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm," an official said.
"The transformer problem was quickly resolved. Electricity and personnel access to the West Wing has returned to normal."
The official said that President Barack Obama and his family were unaffected.
Reporters and photographers were evacuated just after 7 a.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare