Washington (dpa) - The West Wing of the White House was briefly
evacuated early Saturday after a smoke alarm went off.
"An electrical transformer near the West Wing malfunctioned and set off a smoke alarm," an official said.
"The transformer problem was quickly resolved. Electricity and personnel access to the West Wing has returned to normal."
The official said that President Barack Obama and his family were unaffected.
Reporters and photographers were evacuated just after 7 a.m.
Most Popular Stories
- Hezbollah Chief's Assassination Claimed by Sunni Group
- Allstate Seeks to Invest in Minority Firms
- Stolen Cobalt-60 Recovered in Mexico
- SpaceX's Satellite Launch Is 'Game-Changer'
- White House Pushes to Extend Unemployment Benefits
- Latin Music Conference Turns 25
- First-time Jobless Claims Drop Below 300,000
- Sarmiento to Handle Greeley Latin Ops
- U.S. Growth Stayed Steady During Shutdown, Fed Says
- Calif. Likes Christie, Says Tea Party's a Drag