With the final piece of the spire mounted on the
new World Trade Center Friday morning, the building officially became
the tallest tower in the U.S. with its 541 meters.
The spire was the final piece in the reconstruction of One World Trade Center, also known as Freedom Tower, that was destroyed in the terrorist attacks on September 11, 2001.
The mounting, which included a chopper putting the spire in place, was shown live on television, as NBC Today show host Matt Lauer sounded a horn signalling the beginning of the procedure.
The tower, due for completion next year, is the tallest in the western hemisphere and third tallest in the world. It will be the first of four World Trade Center buildings completed as part of the $4-billion reconstruction.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Janet Yellen's Assets Grew by 8 Percent in 2013
- Friends Followed Similar Paths to Violent Jihad
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia
- California Moves Toward Ban on Plastic Bags
- Hillary Clinton Breaks Silence on Ferguson
- Petit Retires 46 Batters in a Row, MLB Record
- Identity Thieves Prey on Job Seekers
- Garcia Takes a Long Shot at McCarthy