By FRAZIER MOORE
NEW YORK - NBC is ordering up a new comedy for fall from "Scrubs" creator Bill Lawrence and an updating of the `70s cop drama "Ironside."
The revived "Ironside" stars Blair Underwood as the paralyzed lawman who uses a wheelchair. That memorable character was originally played by Raymond Burr.
Another new drama, "Chicago PD," is from producer Dick Wolf ("Law & Order"). It will serve as a companion piece to "Chicago Fire," which premiered this season.
The Lawrence-produced comedy, "Undateable," stars Chris D'Elia (from the just-canceled NBC sitcom "Whitney") as a ladies' man who wants to help a circle of friends who are not so successful with romance.
NBC also announced Friday that it has axed its news magazine "Rock Center with Brian Williams," as well as "Go On," a rookie comedy starring Matthew Perry that had a promising start before its ratings collapsed.
On Thursday, the network said it is canceling fellow rookie comedies "Up All Night," "Guys with Kids" and "1600 Penn."
NBC had also announced five new series including a drama, "Believe," from producer J.J. Abrams, and a comedy adaptation of the Nick Hornby novel, "About a Boy."
Gillian Anderson, onetime star of "The X-Files," will be back in "Crisis," a drama about a bus full of high school students who are kidnapped.
Sean Hayes, the former "Will & Grace" actor, will star as a gay divorced dad in "Sean Saves the World."
But yet another new fall comedy has already lost its leading lady. Parker Posey has left "The Family Guide," according to a person close to the project who wasn't authorized to discuss it publicly and spoke on the condition of anonymity. Posey had starred as a divorced mom with an 11-year-old son who idolizes his blind father.
NBC's entire fall schedule will be unveiled Sunday.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief