The BBC says it is working on a British version of the U.S. family sitcom
"Everybody Loves Raymond."
"The Smiths" will star Lee Mack and Catherine Tate as a sportswriter and his wife, who live across the street from his meddling parents and overbearing older brother, the New York Post said.
Production on the show is to begin this month, the report said.
The Emmy Award-winning American version ran for nine seasons and starred Ray Romano, Patricia Heaton, Peter Boyle, Doris Roberts and Brad Garrett.
"Raymond" has also been adapted for television in Russia and Poland. The challenges of adapting it for international audiences were chronicled in the 2010 documentary "Exporting Raymond."
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- How ESPN Became a $50B Sports Empire
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Pot's Legal in WA -- But You Should Probably Ask Your Boss
- President Obama Relishes Roadshow, but Agenda Still Stuck
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks