The BBC says it is working on a British version of the U.S. family sitcom
"Everybody Loves Raymond."
"The Smiths" will star Lee Mack and Catherine Tate as a sportswriter and his wife, who live across the street from his meddling parents and overbearing older brother, the New York Post said.
Production on the show is to begin this month, the report said.
The Emmy Award-winning American version ran for nine seasons and starred Ray Romano, Patricia Heaton, Peter Boyle, Doris Roberts and Brad Garrett.
"Raymond" has also been adapted for television in Russia and Poland. The challenges of adapting it for international audiences were chronicled in the 2010 documentary "Exporting Raymond."
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia