The BBC says it is working on a British version of the U.S. family sitcom
"Everybody Loves Raymond."
"The Smiths" will star Lee Mack and Catherine Tate as a sportswriter and his wife, who live across the street from his meddling parents and overbearing older brother, the New York Post said.
Production on the show is to begin this month, the report said.
The Emmy Award-winning American version ran for nine seasons and starred Ray Romano, Patricia Heaton, Peter Boyle, Doris Roberts and Brad Garrett.
"Raymond" has also been adapted for television in Russia and Poland. The challenges of adapting it for international audiences were chronicled in the 2010 documentary "Exporting Raymond."
Most Popular Stories
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go
- Detroit Raced Toward this Week's Bankruptcy Trial