Another Hispanic immigrant was robbed and beaten by
a group of young men in Englewood, N.J., last week, the latest example of what police
have described as a troubling pattern of attacks against Hispanic
men in the city.
The most recent assault was on Friday in MacKay Park, said Detective Capt. Tim Torell. A 34-year-old Hispanic man was walking near the concession stands around 6 p.m. when he was surrounded by six to eight black men, described as in their late teens or early 20s.
The young men began beating him and kicking him after he fell to the ground. The group fled after taking $50 from the victim's pocket, Torell said Tuesday. The victim had serious facial injuries but refused to go to the hospital, even after ambulance workers urged him to get stitches, Torell said.
Detectives are investigating about a half-dozen assaults on Hispanic immigrants, some of whom were robbed, in March and early April. Hispanic immigrants living in the country illegally are often reluctant to report crimes because of a fear of being deported.
Police have offered assurances that they won't check the immigration status of anyone who reports a crime. Anyone with information about the recent attacks or any other crimes against Hispanic immigrants can call Englewood police at 201-568-4875. All calls will be kept confidential.
(c) 2013 Record, The; Bergen County, N.J.. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- Hollywood Eager to Grasp Hispanic Market
- IS Funded by Black Market Oil Sales, Racketeering
- Cloud Lifts Microsoft's Quarterly Results
- Frightfully Fun Films Return for Halloween
- Weekly Jobless Claims Rise but Remain Low
- Would Soccer Be Richer Without Small Clubs?
- Pfizer Approves $11 Billion Buyback Plan
- Stocks Continue Strong After Opening Surge
- Teresa Giudice Must Serve Time in Prison
- Jennifer Aniston, Justin Theroux Set the Date