Another Hispanic immigrant was robbed and beaten by
a group of young men in Englewood, N.J., last week, the latest example of what police
have described as a troubling pattern of attacks against Hispanic
men in the city.
The most recent assault was on Friday in MacKay Park, said Detective Capt. Tim Torell. A 34-year-old Hispanic man was walking near the concession stands around 6 p.m. when he was surrounded by six to eight black men, described as in their late teens or early 20s.
The young men began beating him and kicking him after he fell to the ground. The group fled after taking $50 from the victim's pocket, Torell said Tuesday. The victim had serious facial injuries but refused to go to the hospital, even after ambulance workers urged him to get stitches, Torell said.
Detectives are investigating about a half-dozen assaults on Hispanic immigrants, some of whom were robbed, in March and early April. Hispanic immigrants living in the country illegally are often reluctant to report crimes because of a fear of being deported.
Police have offered assurances that they won't check the immigration status of anyone who reports a crime. Anyone with information about the recent attacks or any other crimes against Hispanic immigrants can call Englewood police at 201-568-4875. All calls will be kept confidential.
(c) 2013 Record, The; Bergen County, N.J.. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say