TWO centenaries are being marked at the 89th West of England Bandman's Festival next month.
Musicians are tuning up for the celebration, commonly known as the Bugle Contest, in the Clay Country village on Saturday, June 15.
It will mark 100 years since the then Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, presented the Royal Trophy to the festival in 1913 - an award never bestowed on another brass band contest by the Prince of Wales anywhere else in the world. This year the award will be presented not by a prince but by a colonel, the Lord-Lieutenant of Cornwall, Edward Bolitho, OBE.
His family have a long association with the festival dating as far back as 1922 when Mrs Horton Bolitho presented The Bolitho Challenge shield to be awarded at the festival.
The festival also marks the 100-year milestone of the birth of the great Cornish composer George Lloyd.
Lloyd was born on June 28, 1913 in St Ives.
Across Cornwall there will be poignant performances of his opera Iernin and his Choral Symphonic Mass.
And Bugle Contest will offer its own tribute to the popular composer by choosing his major brass band work, English Heritage, for a festival highlight - the Championship Section.
Making his first appearance at the festival as adjudicator is Philip Harper, composer and musical director of The Cory Band.
The band is currently ranked number one in the world ranking table of brass bands.
Harper's Gallimaufry Suite will be tackled by the Second Section, with the First Section playing his Kingdom Of Dragons.
For full details and entry forms visit www.buglebandcon- test.co.uk or call Andrew Teague, promoter, on 01726 815662.
The closing date for entries is this Saturday.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Atlanta Biology Lesson Compares Evolution With Satan
- Sales Show Samsung Needs Next Big Thing
- FOMC Minutes From June 17 Meeting: Full Text
- Ford Wrings Mileage out of Three-Cylinder Fiesta
- 7-Eleven Marks Appy Birthday with Freebies
- Ford Recalling 100,000 Vehicles for Safety Issues
- Hispanic Social Media Awards Announced
- Legal Pot Shops Do Roaring Business on Opening Day
- Is Eva Mendes Pregnant With Ryan Gosling's Baby?
- Citigroup Close to $7 Billion Deal in Mortgage Probe