Britain's longest-serving soap actor, Coronation
Street star Bill Roache, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of a
decades-old rape, local media reported.
Roache has played Ken Barlow in the ITV soap since 1960, receiving a Guinness World record in 2010 for the achievement.
"An 81-year-old man from Wilmslow in Cheshire has this morning, Wednesday May 1, 2013, been arrested by Lancashire Constabulary on suspicion of rape," a police spokesman said, without naming Roache.
Local media reported that the allegations concerned the rape of an underage girl sometime between April and July 1967.
An ITV spokeswoman said the broadcaster was not in a position to comment.
The arrest comes months after Roache suggested that victims of childhood sexual abuse had brought it on themselves because of actions in previous lives and that people should be "totally forgiving" of the perpetrators.
"If you accept that you are pure love, and if you know that you are pure love and therefore live that pure love, these things won't happen to you," he told a New Zealand news programme in March.
Asked to clarify whether that meant victims were to blame, he said: "No, not quite, but and yet I am, because everything that happens to us has been a result of what we have been in previous lives or whatever."
He later apologized for any offence caused during the interview.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response