Britain's longest-serving soap actor, Coronation
Street star Bill Roache, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of a
decades-old rape, local media reported.
Roache has played Ken Barlow in the ITV soap since 1960, receiving a Guinness World record in 2010 for the achievement.
"An 81-year-old man from Wilmslow in Cheshire has this morning, Wednesday May 1, 2013, been arrested by Lancashire Constabulary on suspicion of rape," a police spokesman said, without naming Roache.
Local media reported that the allegations concerned the rape of an underage girl sometime between April and July 1967.
An ITV spokeswoman said the broadcaster was not in a position to comment.
The arrest comes months after Roache suggested that victims of childhood sexual abuse had brought it on themselves because of actions in previous lives and that people should be "totally forgiving" of the perpetrators.
"If you accept that you are pure love, and if you know that you are pure love and therefore live that pure love, these things won't happen to you," he told a New Zealand news programme in March.
Asked to clarify whether that meant victims were to blame, he said: "No, not quite, but and yet I am, because everything that happens to us has been a result of what we have been in previous lives or whatever."
He later apologized for any offence caused during the interview.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Jack White Records Songs, Releases Vinyl in Hours
- 420 Pot Holiday Tries To Go Mainstream
- Malaysia, Flight 370 Relatives Talk Financial Help
- GM Boosting China Production Capacity
- Automakers Turn to China to Fuel Sales Growth
- Easter morning delivery for space station
- Delay in Ferry Evacuation Puzzles Maritime Experts
- Pope Francis, Huge Crowd Joyously Celebrate Easter