Britain's longest-serving soap actor, Coronation
Street star Bill Roache, was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of a
decades-old rape, local media reported.
Roache has played Ken Barlow in the ITV soap since 1960, receiving a Guinness World record in 2010 for the achievement.
"An 81-year-old man from Wilmslow in Cheshire has this morning, Wednesday May 1, 2013, been arrested by Lancashire Constabulary on suspicion of rape," a police spokesman said, without naming Roache.
Local media reported that the allegations concerned the rape of an underage girl sometime between April and July 1967.
An ITV spokeswoman said the broadcaster was not in a position to comment.
The arrest comes months after Roache suggested that victims of childhood sexual abuse had brought it on themselves because of actions in previous lives and that people should be "totally forgiving" of the perpetrators.
"If you accept that you are pure love, and if you know that you are pure love and therefore live that pure love, these things won't happen to you," he told a New Zealand news programme in March.
Asked to clarify whether that meant victims were to blame, he said: "No, not quite, but and yet I am, because everything that happens to us has been a result of what we have been in previous lives or whatever."
He later apologized for any offence caused during the interview.
Most Popular Stories
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- 'Holy grail of guitars' OM-45 Deluxe Available in in NY Auction