The Blue Angels won't perform this year at the Fort Worth Alliance Air
Show -- or anywhere else.
The Navy announced Tuesday that it would cancel the remaining 2013 performances and practice demonstrations as a result of federal budget sequestration. The Blue Angels were scheduled to perform at the Fort Worth Air Show Oct. 19-20.
Blue Angels representatives contacted air show officials about the decision Monday night, said Tom Harris, president of Alliance Air Services in a statement.
"Although we are very disappointed to hear the Blue Angels have had to cancel their 2013 schedule, contingency plans are in place and we are looking forward to sharing some exciting news in the near future about this year's performer lineup and ground attractions," he said.
In a statement on its Facebook page Tuesday, the Blue Angels said: "The Blue Angels are disappointed in this decision but recognize this is one of many steps the Navy is taking to ensure resources are in place to support our forces operating forward now and those training to relieve them."
"The Navy believes there is value in demonstrating the professionalism and capabilities of our Navy and Marine Corps team, thus inspiring future generations of Sailors and Marines. The Navy intends to continue aerial demonstration in the future when the budget situation permits."
The Fort Worth Alliance Air Show typically draws more than 100,000 to the Alliance Airport and brings more than $5.4 million annually to North Texas, according to air show officials.
(c)2013 the Fort Worth Star-Telegram
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Pandora Tumbles in Late Trading
- Sporty Ford Fiesta Fires on All 3 Cylinders
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- World Tensions Don't Curb Enthusiasm for Stocks
- Russia Fears Lasting Damage From Ukraine Crisis
- Visa, Amazon Results Drag Down the Street
- U.K. Economy Surpasses Pre-Crisis Peak
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile