U.S. Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., said Monday he has decided to support "marriage
In a statement posted on his official website, Johnson said his views "have evolved sufficiently to support marriage equality legislation."
"This position doesn't require any religious denomination to alter any of its tenets; it simply forbids government from discrimination regarding who can marry whom."
Johnson's statement comes amid polls indicating growing popular support for gay marriage and makes him the 50th sitting senator to support the concept.
Most Popular Stories
- 5 Notable Hispanic Technology Executives
- Top Hispanic Tech Companies Push for the Top
- Visa, MasterCard Team Up to Focus on Payment Security
- Russia, Crimea Discuss Referendum
- China Urges Malaysia Flight Emergency Response
- Taco Bell Rings Up Breakfast Menu
- Sunday Starts Daylight Saving Time
- For Obama, a Last Stab at Improving Ties with Capitol Hill
- Three Americans on Missing Malaysia Airlines Plane: State Department
- California Establishes Center for Coffee Study