U.S. Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., said Monday he has decided to support "marriage
In a statement posted on his official website, Johnson said his views "have evolved sufficiently to support marriage equality legislation."
"This position doesn't require any religious denomination to alter any of its tenets; it simply forbids government from discrimination regarding who can marry whom."
Johnson's statement comes amid polls indicating growing popular support for gay marriage and makes him the 50th sitting senator to support the concept.
Most Popular Stories
- Steven Sotloff Beheading Video Claimed by Islamic State
- Men Are the Big Winners in the Jobs Recovery
- Apple Planning to Launch Mobile Wallet
- California Hispanic Chamber Picks New Chair
- Challenge to Texas Voter ID Begins
- U.S. Drones Hit al-Shabab in Somalia
- Ford Is Finding Success With Its 'Unminivan'
- Durant Spurns Under Armour to Return to Nike
- Auto Industry Going Back to Bad Habits
- Health Care Hiring Up, Wages Down