U.S. Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., said Monday he has decided to support "marriage
In a statement posted on his official website, Johnson said his views "have evolved sufficiently to support marriage equality legislation."
"This position doesn't require any religious denomination to alter any of its tenets; it simply forbids government from discrimination regarding who can marry whom."
Johnson's statement comes amid polls indicating growing popular support for gay marriage and makes him the 50th sitting senator to support the concept.
Most Popular Stories
- Lingerie, Partisanship Mark Fla. House Race
- Marvel Unveils Slate of Films Through 2019
- FBI May Have Found 'Second Snowden'
- Google Working on Pill to Search for Illnesses
- Grey Lady Ghost Appears at 'Game of Thrones' Site
- Can Barra Break GM's Losing Streak?
- Apple CEO Tim Cook Says Apple Pay a Success
- World Series Not Gripping to TV Viewers
- ecoATM Wins Green at LBA Sol Awards
- IBM OK's $5 Billion Stock Buyback