U.S. Sen. Tim Johnson, D-S.D., said Monday he has decided to support "marriage
In a statement posted on his official website, Johnson said his views "have evolved sufficiently to support marriage equality legislation."
"This position doesn't require any religious denomination to alter any of its tenets; it simply forbids government from discrimination regarding who can marry whom."
Johnson's statement comes amid polls indicating growing popular support for gay marriage and makes him the 50th sitting senator to support the concept.
Most Popular Stories
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Hispanic Groups Lead Voter Registration Drive
- Fed Signals It Will Keep Key Rate at Record Low
- Eva Mendes Gives Birth to a Baby Girl
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Stocks Rise Before Fed Statement
- Occupy Wall Street Buys Up Student Debt
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays