New York (dpa) - Horror flick Evil Dead landed at the top of the
North American box office over the weekend despite its small budget,
lack of superstars and familiar storyline, according to studio
The remake of a 1981 movie scared up 26 million dollars in ticket sales, surpassing its production costs of just 17 million dollars.
Evil Dead overcame animated caveman story The Croods and GI Joe: Retaliation, which both brought in 21 million dollars.
A 3D rerelease of Jurassic Park, which marks the 20th anniversary of the dinosaur thriller, brought in 18.2 million dollars in its first weekend. Political thriller Olympus Has Fallen rounded out the top five with 10 million dollars.
Most Popular Stories
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- FedEx Adding 50,000 Holiday Jobs
- Toxic Algae Threatens Florida Fishing, Tourism
- Plus-Size iPhones Live Up to The Hype
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Family Dollar Spurning Bid From Dollar General
- Cool Features on Today's New iOS 8
- Kohl's Hiring 67,000 for the Holidays
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006