New York (dpa) - Horror flick Evil Dead landed at the top of the
North American box office over the weekend despite its small budget,
lack of superstars and familiar storyline, according to studio
The remake of a 1981 movie scared up 26 million dollars in ticket sales, surpassing its production costs of just 17 million dollars.
Evil Dead overcame animated caveman story The Croods and GI Joe: Retaliation, which both brought in 21 million dollars.
A 3D rerelease of Jurassic Park, which marks the 20th anniversary of the dinosaur thriller, brought in 18.2 million dollars in its first weekend. Political thriller Olympus Has Fallen rounded out the top five with 10 million dollars.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs
- 'Sharknado' Sequel Has Bite and Lots of Laughs
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- Fighting Blocks Investigators, Police From MH17 Crash Site
- Pending Home Sales Slipped in June
- Shania Twain's Vegas residency ending after 110 shows