New York (dpa) - Horror flick Evil Dead landed at the top of the
North American box office over the weekend despite its small budget,
lack of superstars and familiar storyline, according to studio
The remake of a 1981 movie scared up 26 million dollars in ticket sales, surpassing its production costs of just 17 million dollars.
Evil Dead overcame animated caveman story The Croods and GI Joe: Retaliation, which both brought in 21 million dollars.
A 3D rerelease of Jurassic Park, which marks the 20th anniversary of the dinosaur thriller, brought in 18.2 million dollars in its first weekend. Political thriller Olympus Has Fallen rounded out the top five with 10 million dollars.
Most Popular Stories
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Jack Daniel's Resists Changes to Tenn. Whiskey Law