New York (dpa) - Horror flick Evil Dead landed at the top of the
North American box office over the weekend despite its small budget,
lack of superstars and familiar storyline, according to studio
The remake of a 1981 movie scared up 26 million dollars in ticket sales, surpassing its production costs of just 17 million dollars.
Evil Dead overcame animated caveman story The Croods and GI Joe: Retaliation, which both brought in 21 million dollars.
A 3D rerelease of Jurassic Park, which marks the 20th anniversary of the dinosaur thriller, brought in 18.2 million dollars in its first weekend. Political thriller Olympus Has Fallen rounded out the top five with 10 million dollars.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills