OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 04/08/13 -- Editor's Note: There is a photo associated with this press release.
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission and India's Department of Atomic Energy have finalized an Appropriate Arrangement pursuant to the Agreement between the Government of Canada and the Government of India for Cooperation in the Peaceful Uses of Nuclear Energy.
This announcement follows the one made by Prime Minister Harper in November 2012, which highlighted the conclusion of the negotiations for the Appropriate Arrangement. It is the next step towards full implementation of the Nuclear Cooperation Agreement.
The Nuclear Cooperation Agreement and the Appropriate Arrangement will allow Canadian companies to export nuclear items for peaceful uses, in accordance with Canada's nuclear non-proliferation policy. They will ensure Canadian exports only go to facilities in India under International Atomic Energy Agency safeguards.
The Arrangement establishes the modalities for a Joint Committee between Canada and India that is mandated by the Nuclear Cooperation Agreement to ensure ongoing discussions and information sharing in a number of areas. The signing reflects the shared commitment by both organizations to work collaboratively to facilitate nuclear cooperation, while maintaining strong and effective non-proliferation standards.
The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission regulates the use of nuclear energy and materials to protect the health, safety and security of Canadians and the environment and to implement Canada's international commitments on the peaceful use of nuclear energy.
- Statement by Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission President on the Nuclear Appropriate Arrangement reached between Canada and India November 6, 2012
- PM announces conclusion of negotiations on Canada-India Nuclear Cooperation Agreement November 6, 2012 (source: PM Web site)
- Joint Statement between Canada-India November 6, 2012 (source: PM Web site)
- Nuclear Cooperation Agreement June 27, 2010 (source: PM Web site)
For additional information, visit our Web site.
To view the photo associated with this press release, please visit the following link: http://www.marketwire.com/library/20130408-cnsc_0408_800.jpg
CNSC Media Relations
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response