News Column

Gun Competitions Boycott Colorado

April 5, 2013

The Associated Press

A regional shooting competition that would have brought hundreds of people to Colorado has become the latest casualty of the state's new gun laws set to kick in just a few days before the competition.

About 300 members of the International Defensive Pistol Association had planned a regional championship beginning July 4 at the San Juan Shooting Range here.

The event's coordinator, Walt Proulx, told the Grand Junction Daily Sentinel that new limitations on magazine capacity would be the biggest problem. A new state law bans ownership of any magazine with more than 15 rounds manufactured or purchased after July 1.

"If somebody were planning to come to the event, and for some reason needed to get new magazines for their (guns) and they bought them on July 2 and hopped on an airplane and came here, they would technically be in violation as soon as they touched the ground," Proulx said.

The competition was the second event to be canceled because of the new gun laws. Firearms maker Ruger recently announced it would move the 2013 Ruger Rimfire Challenge World Championships out of the state.

Some hunters have said they are boycotting Colorado. According to Northwest Colorado hunting guide Chris Jurney, there have been cancellations. Out-of-state hunters accounted for 15% of hunting licenses last year, with 86,000.





Source: Copyright USA TODAY 2013


Story Tools






HispanicBusiness.com Facebook Linkedin Twitter RSS Feed Email Alerts & Newsletters