OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 04/04/13 -- The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today issued the following statement regarding the Court approval of the settlement reached between the Government of Canada, through the Department of Justice and the Federal Representative, and members of the class action of Dennis Manuge v. Her Majesty The Queen:
"I am extremely pleased that the Federal Court of Canada has approved the settlement that was reached between our government and the members of the class action, to resolve the issues regarding the offset of Pension Act disability benefits from the Service Income Security Insurance Plan (SISIP) Long Term Disability benefits. Acting quickly and fairly to resolve this matter was of the utmost importance."
"Our Government is committed to the on-going care, health, and well-being of Canadian Armed Forces personnel and veterans. The settlement reached is an example of this commitment, as it is in the best interest of the class and of the Canadian public."
"Our government continues to reflect and improve upon its programs dedicated to supporting Canada's ill and injured military personnel and veterans, and to provide the care that our personnel and their families deserve."
Notes to editor / news director: For more information on the SISIP Long Term Disability program, please visit the SISIP web page at: https://www.cfpsa.com/en/AboutUs/SISIPFS/Insurance/Pages/Long-Term-Disability.aspx.
To consult the decision from the Federal Court, please visit the Federal Court website at: http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2013/2013fc341/2013fc341.html.
Most Popular Stories
- Shia LaBeouf Plea Deal, Alcoholism Treatment
- Ohio State Band Chief Fired After Probe
- Hispanic Leader Goes the Extra Mile
- Stop-Start Engines Save Gas, Reduce Emissions
- Jennifer Lopez, Pitbull to Perform at Fashion Rocks
- Ukraine Says Russians Firing Across the Border
- Ford Q2 Net Profit up 6 Percent
- U.S. Weighs Refugee Status for Immigrant Kids
- Ricky Martin Joins 'The Voice ... Mexico'
- Morgan Stanley Ponies Up $275 Million to Settle SEC Charges