OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 04/04/13 -- The Honourable Peter MacKay, Minister of National Defence, today issued the following statement regarding the Court approval of the settlement reached between the Government of Canada, through the Department of Justice and the Federal Representative, and members of the class action of Dennis Manuge v. Her Majesty The Queen:
"I am extremely pleased that the Federal Court of Canada has approved the settlement that was reached between our government and the members of the class action, to resolve the issues regarding the offset of Pension Act disability benefits from the Service Income Security Insurance Plan (SISIP) Long Term Disability benefits. Acting quickly and fairly to resolve this matter was of the utmost importance."
"Our Government is committed to the on-going care, health, and well-being of Canadian Armed Forces personnel and veterans. The settlement reached is an example of this commitment, as it is in the best interest of the class and of the Canadian public."
"Our government continues to reflect and improve upon its programs dedicated to supporting Canada's ill and injured military personnel and veterans, and to provide the care that our personnel and their families deserve."
Notes to editor / news director: For more information on the SISIP Long Term Disability program, please visit the SISIP web page at: https://www.cfpsa.com/en/AboutUs/SISIPFS/Insurance/Pages/Long-Term-Disability.aspx.
To consult the decision from the Federal Court, please visit the Federal Court website at: http://decisions.fct-cf.gc.ca/en/2013/2013fc341/2013fc341.html.
Most Popular Stories
- Americans Still Pessimistic Despite Economic Growth
- Labor Day Travel Up, Gas Prices Down
- Bogdanovitch Delivers Laughs With 'She's Funny'
- U.K. Raises Terror Threat Level to 'Severe'
- Nintendo Launching 'Amiibo' Toy-game Franchise
- Canada, Russia Go to War (on Twitter)
- Parra Joins Exclusive Club of Hispanic CEOs
- Apple to Unveil New Items on Sept. 9
- Axxis Solutions Appoints Benites as CEO
- Obama Puts Ukraine Violence on Russia