Shakira's former boyfriend Antonio de la Rua is
suing the pop singer to claim compensation worth 100 million dollars,
Colombian radio station Caracol reported Thursday.
The Argentine claims Shakira should pay him for his work as partner in a firm that led her to become a global star.
Caracol had access to the text of the complaint that De la Rua filed on January 15 in a New York court.
De la Rua, a son of Argentine former president Fernando de la Rua, was Shakira's boyfriend for about 10 years until mid-2010. The Colombian singer has been in a relationship with Spanish football player Gerard Pique since at least February 2011, and she gave birth in January to their first child, a son named Milan.
De la Rua is reportedly demanding that Shakira's accounts in Bank Safra in Geneva be frozen to prevent the singer from hiding her assets.
"I have tried several times, both personally and through a lawyer, to solve this dispute in a friendly manner. At best, such attempts have met with silence, and at worst with hostility," De la Rua said in the complaint.
Shakira, he said, "has adopted a strategy of trying to re-write history, which includes denying the existence of such a partnership" and denying his contribution to her rise.
An order to freeze the bank accounts while the court proceedings take their course "is necessary to protect the partnership's assets that belong" to De la Rua, by his own account.
Shakira sued De la Rua in the Bahamas for allegedly taking 3 million dollars without her permission and spending a further 500,000 dollars with a credit card that belonged to her.
In August, two former domestic employees sued Shakira after failing to settle their dismissals out of court.
Most Popular Stories
- Boehner Lashes Out Against Ted Cruz, Far Right
- TFA Recruiting DACA Recipients
- Hawaii Official Who Release Obama Certificate Only Victim of Plane Crash
- Holiday Shopping Off to a Slow Start This Season
- Ford Plans New Cars, Jobs in 2014
- Gold, Silver Slide on Prospects of Fed Exit
- 'Rape Insurance' Bill Passes in Michigan
- Ted Cruz Coloring Book Selling Briskly
- Kim Jong Un's Uncle Executed
- Scotch Whisky Sales Raise Distillers' Spirits