Pope Francis' nine Twitter accounts topped
the five-million-followers mark on Thursday.
The @Pontifex handle is available in English, Spanish, Italian, Portuguese, French, German, Polish, Latin and Arabic.
Francis' predecessor, Benedict XVI, opened the papal Twitter account in December. It was deactivated after he resigned in late February, and relaunched on March 13, after the election of the new pontiff.
The most popular papal handles are the English and Spanish language ones, attracting between them almost four million followers.
US President Barack Obama has 29.3 million followers on the micro-blogging website.
Most Popular Stories
- Fantasy Football Gambling Industry Facing Increased Legal Scrutiny
- Obama Promoting Economic Gains As Elections Near
- As States Legalize Pot, Will Traffic Deaths Rise?
- 'Guardians of the Galaxy' Conquers the North American Box Office with $16.3M
- GE Capital and Petters-Related Fund in Legal Battle
- NATO Plans High-Readiness Force to Counter Russia
- California Conservation Conundrum: Water Use Varies Greatly Across State
- Combating Online Abuse Not Easy for Gamers
- Even With Surly 2014 Electorate, It's 'Still an Incumbent's World'
- Feds Want Nuclear Waste Train, but Nowhere to Go