By EDDIE McILWAINE
ACTOR Sean Caffrey, who has died aged 73, had one of those instantly recognisable faces, even if you struggled at times to remember his name.
Caffrey, born in Belfast in 1940, had a busy career on stage and in films but never quite made the big time.
Sean remained a largely unsung professional, who was always in demand.
By the time Caffrey was 30, his best years were behind him -- and yet it had all begun with so much promise.
Sean was chosen out of the blue in 1965 to play Paddy, a lonely Irish youth just arrived in London in the TV drama Boy In The Smoke, which earned him rave reviews.
And, that same year, he had a major role opposite stars Sarah Miles and Cyril Cusack in the film I Was Happy Here.
By the time he was picked to play opposite the young and beautiful Francesca Annis in the movie Run With The Wind, Hollywood seemed only a plane ride away.
But it didn't work out that way and Caffrey contented himself with minor, but important, roles in the likes of Coronation Street, Dr Who, ZCars and Minder.
Back in his native Belfast, he appeared at the Lyric Theatre in 1997 in Brian Moore's The Feast Of Lupercal and his last appearance back home was in 2004 in George Bernard Shaw's John Bull's Other Island.
Originally published by EDDIE McILWAINE.
(c) 2013 Belfast Telegraph. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart
- Singer Ian Watkins Sentenced to 35 Years Prison for Child Sex Abuse
- Universal CityWalk Rings in 2014 with Southern California's Biggest New Year's Eve Party, Featuring Dazzling Fireworks Displays, Three Live Concert Stages, DJ Performances and a Midnight Cascade of 1,000 Pounds of Confetti
- SAC Capital Employee Guilty of Insider Trading
- The Illuminati Don't Exist, Just Ask Them
- Brothel Write-offs Cost Taxpayers Millions, Coburn Says
- GLAAD Denounces 'Duck Dynasty' Star for Remarks About Gays
- Contest Gives Startups a Jump in Jersey
- Fed Signals Strong Confidence in U.S. Economy
- Senate Sends Bipartisan Budget Plan to President