By Aine McMahon
Irish author Colm Tibn has been nominated for a Tony award for his work on The Testament of Mary , which opened in New York last week. The one-woman show is up for the coveted Best Play award. In it Fiona Shaw plays the mother of Jesus, who wants to tell the story on her terms.
The play also received two technical nominations. The head of music and theatre at University College Cork, Dr Mel Mercier has been nominated for Best Sound Design of a play. Mr Mercier has also been nominated for a Drama Desk Award, another prestigious New York theatre award, for Outstanding Sound Design in a Play. Jennifer Tipton was nominated for best lighting design.Tony Awards celebrate excellence in live Broadway theatre .
Originally published by Aine McMahon.
(c) 2013 Irish Times. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign
- Bitcoin Clones Lurch Onto Financial Scene
- General Motors Names Mary Barra as First Female CEO
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Clinton to Keynote Annual Simmons Leadership Conference
- Pacific Trade Pact Delay Hinders U.S. Pivot to Asia
- Californians Want to Legalize Marijuana
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Scripps Shares Rise on Reported Bid Talks
- Budget Deal Sets Off Grumbles in Both Houses