By Aine McMahon
Irish author Colm Tibn has been nominated for a Tony award for his work on The Testament of Mary , which opened in New York last week. The one-woman show is up for the coveted Best Play award. In it Fiona Shaw plays the mother of Jesus, who wants to tell the story on her terms.
The play also received two technical nominations. The head of music and theatre at University College Cork, Dr Mel Mercier has been nominated for Best Sound Design of a play. Mr Mercier has also been nominated for a Drama Desk Award, another prestigious New York theatre award, for Outstanding Sound Design in a Play. Jennifer Tipton was nominated for best lighting design.Tony Awards celebrate excellence in live Broadway theatre .
Originally published by Aine McMahon.
(c) 2013 Irish Times. Provided by ProQuest LLC. All rights Reserved.
A service of YellowBrix, Inc.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- McDonald's Names Another U.S. President
- The Hip New Career? Farming
- Sahara Casino Rises Anew as SLS Las Vegas
- Student Startup Develops Date-rape Detector
- U.S. Supporters of Islamic State Get Close Scrutiny
- Job Market Shifts Complicate Yellen's Rate Decision
- Dems Losing Fear of Obamacare
- Chinese Coal Gas Boom Poses Climate Risks
- Deere Announces New Round of Layoffs