Walt Disney Studios has chosen British actress Lily James to star in a
live-action version of the classic fairy tale "Cinderella," the production
James, 24, will face Australian actress Cate Blanchett, 43, who will play Cinderella's evil stepmother.
Scottish actor Richard Madden, 26, is listed on the Internet Movie Database as rumored to play Prince Charming.
Kenneth Branagh will direct the film, to be released next year.
Emma Watson, 23, who played Hermione Granger in the "Harry Potter" film series, had been in talks for the princess role, but a deal could not be worked out, The Hollywood Reporter and Variety reported.
James plays the rebellious Lady Rose McClare in the British drama "Downton Abbey," airing in the United States on PBS.
The "Cinderella" project was started by Disney in May 2010 after the studio's success with the computer-animated and live-action "Alice in Wonderland" fantasy film starring Mia Wasikowska and Johnny Depp, the Reporter said.
Most Popular Stories
- Fed Committee Optimistic About Growth Prospects
- Challenger Raises Bar on Muscle Cars
- Fight Against Teacher Tenure Gains Momentum
- Small Businesses Could Get Paid Faster
- Stevie Fielder Changes Tune on Thad Cochran Vote-buying Story
- California Chambers Head for the O.C.
- Reynolds, Lorillard in Merger Talks
- Perez Picks Heavily Hispanic Districts in Recount
- NHTSA Probes Ford Steering Problems
- Infiniti Exec de Nysschen to Head Cadillac