Walt Disney Studios has chosen British actress Lily James to star in a
live-action version of the classic fairy tale "Cinderella," the production
James, 24, will face Australian actress Cate Blanchett, 43, who will play Cinderella's evil stepmother.
Scottish actor Richard Madden, 26, is listed on the Internet Movie Database as rumored to play Prince Charming.
Kenneth Branagh will direct the film, to be released next year.
Emma Watson, 23, who played Hermione Granger in the "Harry Potter" film series, had been in talks for the princess role, but a deal could not be worked out, The Hollywood Reporter and Variety reported.
James plays the rebellious Lady Rose McClare in the British drama "Downton Abbey," airing in the United States on PBS.
The "Cinderella" project was started by Disney in May 2010 after the studio's success with the computer-animated and live-action "Alice in Wonderland" fantasy film starring Mia Wasikowska and Johnny Depp, the Reporter said.
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Elizabeth Vargas' Husband Marc Cohn Addresses Rumors
- Keurig Adds Peet's coffee, Alters Starbucks deal
- U.S. to Relinquish Gov't Control Over Internet
- Quiznos Files for Chapter 11
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- U.S. Consumer Sentiment Falls in Early March
- Vybz Kartel Convicted of Murder