Mingo County, W.Va., Sheriff Eugene Crum was shot and killed Wednesday and
police shot a suspect as he tried to get away, authorities said.
Crum was in his police vehicle outside the courthouse in downtown Williamson just after noon EDT when a man got out of another vehicle, walked to Crum's vehicle and shot him, witnesses told the Williamson Daily News.
WKYT-TV, Lexington, Ky., said officials in the office of Williamson Mayor Darrin McCormick confirmed Crum was killed in the shooting. The TV station said the courthouse was put on lockdown.
Law enforcement officers shot the suspect as he tried to flee and arrested him, WCHS-TV, Charleston-Huntington, W.Va., reported.
There was no word on the condition of the suspect.
WOWK-TV, Charleston-Huntington, said Crum was known as tough on crime.
Most Popular Stories
- AIG to Create 230 Jobs in Charlotte
- Bipartisan Negotiators Reach Modest Budget Agreement
- Russia Says Nyet to Canada North Pole Claim
- Justin Bieber Visits Typhoon Victims, Plays Concert
- Senate Dems Move Forward With Obama Nominees
- Obama Nominee Confirmed for D.C. Appeals Court
- New Obama Aide to Focus on Climate Change
- MasterCard to Split Shares, Raise Dividend
- GOP, Dems Strain to Unearth a Modest Budget Pact
- 15 Myths That Could Ruin Your Hispanic Ad Campaign