Mingo County, W.Va., Sheriff Eugene Crum was shot and killed Wednesday and
police shot a suspect as he tried to get away, authorities said.
Crum was in his police vehicle outside the courthouse in downtown Williamson just after noon EDT when a man got out of another vehicle, walked to Crum's vehicle and shot him, witnesses told the Williamson Daily News.
WKYT-TV, Lexington, Ky., said officials in the office of Williamson Mayor Darrin McCormick confirmed Crum was killed in the shooting. The TV station said the courthouse was put on lockdown.
Law enforcement officers shot the suspect as he tried to flee and arrested him, WCHS-TV, Charleston-Huntington, W.Va., reported.
There was no word on the condition of the suspect.
WOWK-TV, Charleston-Huntington, said Crum was known as tough on crime.
Most Popular Stories
- Cantwell Targets Gender Gap in Small-Business Loans
- Chrysler Gets Nod as a Top Employer for Hispanic Women
- Hispanic Entrepreneurs Set Pace in Florida
- Health-care Deal Aids Port Contract Talks
- FBI Probes JPMorgan Hack
- South Korea's Kia to Invest $1 Billion in Mexico
- Perry's Lawyers Try to Close Abuse Case
- Mario Lopez Inks New Clear Channel Deal
- What's the Law for Kids at Gun Ranges?
- Apple Loses Bid to Block Sales of 9 Samsung Phones