Mingo County, W.Va., Sheriff Eugene Crum was shot and killed Wednesday and
police shot a suspect as he tried to get away, authorities said.
Crum was in his police vehicle outside the courthouse in downtown Williamson just after noon EDT when a man got out of another vehicle, walked to Crum's vehicle and shot him, witnesses told the Williamson Daily News.
WKYT-TV, Lexington, Ky., said officials in the office of Williamson Mayor Darrin McCormick confirmed Crum was killed in the shooting. The TV station said the courthouse was put on lockdown.
Law enforcement officers shot the suspect as he tried to flee and arrested him, WCHS-TV, Charleston-Huntington, W.Va., reported.
There was no word on the condition of the suspect.
WOWK-TV, Charleston-Huntington, said Crum was known as tough on crime.
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Reid: Bundy Backers Are 'Domestic Terrorists'
- Ex-BP Employee Settles Insider Trading Charges
- Venture Investments in U.S. Highest Since 2001
- Colo. Cleantech Program Calls for Entrepreneurs
- Unemployment Rates Down, Job Gains Up in March
- Hiring Fair for Veterans, Job Seekers
- Recordings Reveal a Not-So-Nice Martinez: Editorial
- VW Beetle Marks 65th Year in U.S.
- The Biebs Crashes Drake's Release Party