An off-road mudding event is set for tonight in Proctorville after the death an MTV reality star with local ties.
All proceeds from the event will go to the family of Shain Gandee to help with funeral expenses.
Gandee, 21, was a cast member on the MTV reality show "Buckwild" that filmed in Sissonville and Charleston, W.Va. The TV show had been renewed for a second season, but MTV has suspended production at this time.
Gandee, his uncle, David Gandee, 48, and 27-year-old Donald Robert Myers, were found dead Monday inside Gandee's Ford Bronco near his home in Sissonville. According to the Kanawha County, W.Va., Sheriff's Department, all three men died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Their deaths have been ruled accidental.
According to authorities, the vehicle was found partially submerged in a deep mud pit with the muffler below the surface.
Gandee had recently made a trip to Crown City for the opening of his cousin Ashley Gandee Lewis' store, Gandee's General Store, on March 30.
Lewis said what people saw on the MTV show was the real Shain.
"He didn't put on an act," she said. "He was real, true and honest. He wouldn't have acted any different. People loved him for that."
Lewis said those who want to participate or watch the mudding benefit should meet at 4:30 p.m. tonight at the Kroger in Proctorville. It was not immediately clear where the event would take place.
The cost to participate is $10 or $5 to be a spectator.
There will also be a limited amount of T-shirts for sale for $15.
Most Popular Stories
- Cedeno Named USHCC Businessman of the Year
- Missouri GM Plant Adding 750 jobs
- Parameters Being Drawn for IS Action
- Can Kobach Keep Taylor's Name on Ballot?
- Mercedes Rolls Out S550 Plug-in Hybrid
- Aaron Hernandez: I Felt Helpless to Refuse Police
- Anheuser-Busch, Visa Voice NFL Disapproval
- Rackspace Ends Talks About Possible Acquisition
- Poverty Rate Drops for First Time Since 2006
- Two-thirds of Hispanics Doubt Media Accuracy