Profits at South Korea's Samsung Electronics Co
surged 41.6 per cent year-on-year in the first quarter due to strong
sales of its smartphones, media reports said.
Net profit for the January-March quarter was 7.15 trillion won (6.44 billion dollars) compared to 5.05 trillion won in the same period last year, the world's top maker of computer memory chips and smartphones said in a regulatory filing, the Yonhap News Agency reported.
Samsung's revenue for the first quarter came in at 52.87 trillion won, a rise of 16.8 per cent compared to the first quarter of 2012.
The company began selling the Galaxy S4 phone in South Korea on Friday.
Most Popular Stories
- Doctor Who Christmas Episode Begins Production
- HCL America Adding 1,200 IT Jobs
- Medical Mfg. Jobs Coming to Dayton
- Longtime Unemployed to Get Help in Las Vegas
- Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury on Previously Unreleased Queen Cut
- SpaceX Aims for Predawn Launch on Saturday
- Women Key to Democratic Party: Clinton
- U.S. Chamber Caught Up in Tax Inversion Question
- Feds Won't Say How Many Border Crossers Jailed
- Christie Didn't Order Bridge Shut Down, Feds Say