Microsoft is to unveil the next iteration of its
Xbox video game console on May 21.
The company sent out invitations Thursday to technology journalists in the US inviting them to company headquarters on that day for a "special unveiling" by the Xbox team.
According to Microsoft, the system will "mark the beginning of a new generation of games, TV and entertainment." It also said it would show off a few new titles at the Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) in June.
Microsoft released the current console, the Xbox 360, seven years ago, and it has since overtaken both the Sony Playstation 3 and the Nintendo Wii to become the world's best-selling video game machine.
However the industry is facing significant challenges from the spread of casual gaming on smartphones and tablet computers, while the rise of smart TV devices will also challenge the aspirations of video console companies for their machines to act as the digital household hub.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Singer Ian Watkins Sentenced to 35 Years Prison for Child Sex Abuse
- Universal CityWalk Rings in 2014 with Southern California's Biggest New Year's Eve Party, Featuring Dazzling Fireworks Displays, Three Live Concert Stages, DJ Performances and a Midnight Cascade of 1,000 Pounds of Confetti
- The Illuminati Don't Exist, Just Ask Them
- Contest Gives Startups a Jump in Jersey
- SAC Capital Employee Guilty of Insider Trading
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Senate Sends Bipartisan Budget Plan to President
- Fed Signals Strong Confidence in U.S. Economy