Centennial High School math teacher Ray Roque takes a soft approach to
working with some of the toughest students.
"He's described as a gentle soul who can motivate even the toughest of kids," Henry Roman, a Pueblo Hispanic Education Foundation board member, said Wednesday of Roque.
Roque's dedication and commitment to all his students, but particularly troubled students, earned him one of seven PHEF Outstanding Teacher of the Year awards.
The awards were presented at the Latino Chamber of Commerce luncheon Wednesday at South High School.
Roque, who has been teaching for 20 years, said he was excited to be recognized among some of the community's finest educators.
"I really appreciate the honor," said Roque. "It's nice to know that others recognize and appreciate the work you do."
Roque, a Centennial graduate himself, said although he loves teaching math to all students, he has a special place in his heart for Hispanic males, particularly those experiencing trouble in school.
"I try to teach them not just about math, but about life in general," he said. "My goal is to get them to want to learn. My hope is that they leave the classroom better than when they came in."
Also honored as outstanding educators were Yvette Teschner, music teacher at Avondale
Elementary School; Lori Montanez, principal at Cesar Chavez Academy; Terrie Tafoya, principal at Pueblo County High School; Rebecca Wasil, HOPE Bridge project at Pueblo Community College; Dora Luz Cobian-Klein, Colorado State University-Pueblo; and Joseph Gonzales, BOCES.
Other nominees were Kay Wojtala, CCA; Brandy Gallegos, Pueblo School for Arts and Sciences; Alice Blea, County; Lora Perea, South; Victoria Obregon, College Assistance Migrant Program at CSU-Pueblo; Karen Yescavage and Juan Morales, CSU-Pueblo; and Kristen Reyes, Easter Larson, Frances Gutierrez, Shauna Carpenter and Jose Gonzales, BOCES.
(c)2013 The Pueblo Chieftain (Pueblo, Colo.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Scholarships Offered for Hispanic Heritage Month
- Boeing Succeeds in Early Wooing of China Airline Startups
- Latin America Seeks Ways to Add Value to China Exports
- EU Finance Ministers Discuss Investment Plan
- Steve Ballmer Files Six-Figure Counterclaim vs. Steve Gordon
- IS Releases New Beheading Video
- Detroit Bankruptcy: Pivotal Progress in Trial's Second Week
- Will Apple's Digital Wallet Conquer the Card Swipe?
- Apple Reportedly Spent $100MM for Free U2 Album from iTunes
- Olive Garden's Breadsticks Targeted by Activist Investor