A drone headed toward Israel from Lebanon was shot down Thursday by an Israeli
fighter jet, officials say.
It was not clear if the drone was armed, The Jerusalem Post reported.
A squadron of F-16s and military helicopters were sent to check out the unmanned craft when it was spotted flying south along the Lebanese coastline toward Israel at about 6,000 feet in altitude, said Brig. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces.
After the squadron assured the drone was an enemy aircraft, the order was given to destroy it, Mordechai said.
An F-16 then destroyed it with a missile.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Lucy's' Super Powers Tops 'Hercules' at Box Office
- The 2014 Fastest-Growing 100
- Vancrest Assisted Living Project to Add 20 Jobs
- The Rise and Fall of Richard Alarcon
- Fighting Blocks Investigators, Police From MH17 Crash Site
- VW Site Could Mean Another 2,000 Jobs for Chattanooga
- Insecticides Permeate U.S. Food, Water Supply
- Ford Bumps Price of New F-150
- Nissan Profits Rise on Growth in U.S., China
- U.N. Renews Demand for Gaza Cease-Fire