A drone headed toward Israel from Lebanon was shot down Thursday by an Israeli
fighter jet, officials say.
It was not clear if the drone was armed, The Jerusalem Post reported.
A squadron of F-16s and military helicopters were sent to check out the unmanned craft when it was spotted flying south along the Lebanese coastline toward Israel at about 6,000 feet in altitude, said Brig. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces.
After the squadron assured the drone was an enemy aircraft, the order was given to destroy it, Mordechai said.
An F-16 then destroyed it with a missile.
Most Popular Stories
- NSA Defends Global Cellphone Tracking Legality
- Top Websites for U.S. Hispanics
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- Apple Wants Samsung to Pay $22M for Patent Dispute Legal Bills
- Starbucks Gets Grinchy; No Gingerbread Lattes for Tampa Customers
- Apple Paid Its Lawyers More Than $60MM to Defeat Samsung in Court
- Jobs Report Brings Cheer As Unemployment Drops to Five-year Low
- Economic Bright Spots Not a Sure Boost for President Obama
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.