A drone headed toward Israel from Lebanon was shot down Thursday by an Israeli
fighter jet, officials say.
It was not clear if the drone was armed, The Jerusalem Post reported.
A squadron of F-16s and military helicopters were sent to check out the unmanned craft when it was spotted flying south along the Lebanese coastline toward Israel at about 6,000 feet in altitude, said Brig. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces.
After the squadron assured the drone was an enemy aircraft, the order was given to destroy it, Mordechai said.
An F-16 then destroyed it with a missile.
Most Popular Stories
- Criminal Investigation Opened Into James Foley's Death
- Koch Brothers Took Genes, Money in Different Directions
- Rocket Explodes During U.S. Test Flight
- Short-Term Loans Comes at a Heavy Price
- Is Diversity in the Eye of the Beholder?
- Apple Stock Bounces Back Big Time
- 'Mythbusters' Build Team Gets the Boot
- Jennifer Lopez Would Marry Again
- Florida Judge Rules in Favor of GOP Voter Map
- Investors Betting on ECB Stimulus Measures