A drone headed toward Israel from Lebanon was shot down Thursday by an Israeli
fighter jet, officials say.
It was not clear if the drone was armed, The Jerusalem Post reported.
A squadron of F-16s and military helicopters were sent to check out the unmanned craft when it was spotted flying south along the Lebanese coastline toward Israel at about 6,000 feet in altitude, said Brig. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces.
After the squadron assured the drone was an enemy aircraft, the order was given to destroy it, Mordechai said.
An F-16 then destroyed it with a missile.
Most Popular Stories
- Pickup Discounts Boost September Auto Sales
- Kurdish Militia Still Lack Weapons, Training
- Review: Pay by Phone or Just Keep Using Plastic?
- Lexus Luxury Compact Sedan Wins Buyers
- N.Y. Ups Awards of State Contracts to Minorities
- Ebola Victim Was Sent Home by Dallas Hospital
- Dallas Parents Fear Students Exposed to Ebola
- Group Offers Online Help for College Students
- Baker Hughes to Disclose Fracking Chemicals
- Why the Bond Market Isn't as Safe as You Think