A drone headed toward Israel from Lebanon was shot down Thursday by an Israeli
fighter jet, officials say.
It was not clear if the drone was armed, The Jerusalem Post reported.
A squadron of F-16s and military helicopters were sent to check out the unmanned craft when it was spotted flying south along the Lebanese coastline toward Israel at about 6,000 feet in altitude, said Brig. Gen. Yoav Mordechai, a spokesman for the Israeli Defense Forces.
After the squadron assured the drone was an enemy aircraft, the order was given to destroy it, Mordechai said.
An F-16 then destroyed it with a missile.
Most Popular Stories
- Ukraine Crisis Limits Losses in Gold, Silver
- Can GOP Dodge Immigration Bullet?
- Software Writers Sought in Indiana
- Chiquita, Fyffes to Form Top Banana
- Photo ID Required for Unemployment Benefits
- Job Fair for S.C. Grads
- Big Earthquake Rumbles Northern California
- China's Money Rate Drops on Slowdown Concern
- Tech Firms to Increase Hiring for 4th Year in a Row
- '300' Sequel Conquers Box Office Foes