Five people are dead this morning after a shooting incident in a small
Scott County village.
According to Manchester Mayor Ron Drake, at about 4:45 a.m. Wednesday an unnamed person fatally shot five people and wounded one at a residence in the 700 block of East St. The injured victim was taken to Passavant Area Hospital and transferred to St. Johns Hospital in Springfield.
Village Clerk Peggy Renner said that a woman and several children lived in the apartment where the shooting took place.
The suspect fled the scene but was located by police about three miles east of Winchester, traveling on the Winchester Woodson Blacktop.
Drake said the suspect fired on police officers, who returned fire. The suspected shooter was shot by police and apprehended. The suspect was taken to Passavant Area Hospital.
Law Enforcement will soon be holding a press conference to share further information.
Drake said he first received a page in his capacity as fire chief for emergency medical response. He said he could hardly believe it when he learned that there had been a shooting in his town with multiple victims, and called the incident a "tragedy."
"It's a quiet little town where everybody knows everybody," he said.
Updated 10:12 a.m. to correct time of incident.
Updated 10:36 a.m. with information on location of shooting.
(c)2013 the Jacksonville Journal-Courier (Jacksonville, Ill.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Paniagua Wins Grand Prize in Young Artists Program
- Yaris Adds French Flair for US Market
- IBM to Pay Big to Unload Chip Division
- Sub Hunt Brings Cold War Chill Back to Baltic
- Cable TV Not Going Away, Says Cable TV
- Cowboys Turn Back Clock to Glory Days
- Canadian Pacific Ends CSX Talks
- Kerry Cites Moral Need in Weapons Air Drop
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- US Stocks Move Higher Despite Drag by IBM