Five people are dead this morning after a shooting incident in a small
Scott County village.
According to Manchester Mayor Ron Drake, at about 4:45 a.m. Wednesday an unnamed person fatally shot five people and wounded one at a residence in the 700 block of East St. The injured victim was taken to Passavant Area Hospital and transferred to St. Johns Hospital in Springfield.
Village Clerk Peggy Renner said that a woman and several children lived in the apartment where the shooting took place.
The suspect fled the scene but was located by police about three miles east of Winchester, traveling on the Winchester Woodson Blacktop.
Drake said the suspect fired on police officers, who returned fire. The suspected shooter was shot by police and apprehended. The suspect was taken to Passavant Area Hospital.
Law Enforcement will soon be holding a press conference to share further information.
Drake said he first received a page in his capacity as fire chief for emergency medical response. He said he could hardly believe it when he learned that there had been a shooting in his town with multiple victims, and called the incident a "tragedy."
"It's a quiet little town where everybody knows everybody," he said.
Updated 10:12 a.m. to correct time of incident.
Updated 10:36 a.m. with information on location of shooting.
(c)2013 the Jacksonville Journal-Courier (Jacksonville, Ill.)
Distributed by MCT Information Services
Most Popular Stories
- Chobani Counters Competition With Expanded Lineup
- Twitter Offers App Install Ads
- Asia Seeks Obama's Assurance Over Spats
- Nevada Range Showdown Draws Armed Supporters
- What to Expect From an Amazon Smartphone
- Coachella's Young Audience a Marketers Paradise
- Putin: No Blocks to Boosting Relations With West
- NASA's Space Station Robonaut Finally Getting Legs
- National Energy Boom Blurs Political Battle Lines
- Report: Iran VP Says Row Over Reactor Resolved