A hacker who broke into the Twitter account of
the Associated Press posted a false news report about explosions at
the White House injuring President Barack Obama.
The AP within a few minutes announced that its Twitter feed had been hacked, and the US wire service immediately suspended the account.
"Our accounts have been hacked," AP spokeswoman Erin Madigan-White told dpa at the AP headquarters in New York. "It was a bogus tweet."
White House spokesman Jay Carney said "the President is fine."
The hoax report read: "Breaking: Two explosions in the White House and the president is injured."
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Lady Gaga Roasts Self on Spit at SXSW
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia
- Drake Wins Big MTV's Woodie Awards at SXSW
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion