Netflix Inc., the video streaming company, on
Monday reported a first quarter profit of 2.69 million dollars, or 5
cents per share, on revenue of 1.02 billion dollars.
In the same quarter last year the company lost 4.6 million dollars, or 8 cents per share, on sales of 869.8 million dollars.
The company said it added 3 million new customers worldwide in the first three months of 2013, bringing its total to 36 million customers.
In a letter to its shareholders, Netflix said its customer base "collectively enjoyed ... over 4 billion hours of films and TV shows." The company has also seen success with original programming, such as the "House of Cards" series.
Shares surged 21 per cent in after-hours trading.
Most Popular Stories
- Dmytro Firtash, Ukrainian Billionaire, Arrested in Vienna
- Obama, Ukraine Discuss Russian Incursion in Crimea
- Obama's Overtime Initiative Praised, Condemned
- Republicans Warn Obama on Immigration
- Liberty Media Drops Sirius Bid
- Koch Brothers Step up Anti-Obamacare Campaign
- Calumet Photo Files for Bankruptcy
- FDIC Sues Big Banks Over Rate Manipulation
- Uli Hoeness, Bayern Munich President, Gets Prison for Tax Evasion
- West Readies Harsh Sanctions Against Russia