Netflix Inc., the video streaming company, on
Monday reported a first quarter profit of 2.69 million dollars, or 5
cents per share, on revenue of 1.02 billion dollars.
In the same quarter last year the company lost 4.6 million dollars, or 8 cents per share, on sales of 869.8 million dollars.
The company said it added 3 million new customers worldwide in the first three months of 2013, bringing its total to 36 million customers.
In a letter to its shareholders, Netflix said its customer base "collectively enjoyed ... over 4 billion hours of films and TV shows." The company has also seen success with original programming, such as the "House of Cards" series.
Shares surged 21 per cent in after-hours trading.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- India Recognizes Transgender People as 'Third Gender'
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Brands Get Caught in Bitter-Tweet Traps
- Michael Bloomberg Takes Aim at the NRA
- U.S. Job Market Still Needs Fed Stimulus: Yellen
- Yellen Remarks, Market Data Give Stocks a Boost
- Dems in Energy States Back Away From Obama
- Man Arrested After Driving Stolen Car to Court Hearing
- Depp, Pfister Are Tech Philosophers