Netflix Inc., the video streaming company, on
Monday reported a first quarter profit of 2.69 million dollars, or 5
cents per share, on revenue of 1.02 billion dollars.
In the same quarter last year the company lost 4.6 million dollars, or 8 cents per share, on sales of 869.8 million dollars.
The company said it added 3 million new customers worldwide in the first three months of 2013, bringing its total to 36 million customers.
In a letter to its shareholders, Netflix said its customer base "collectively enjoyed ... over 4 billion hours of films and TV shows." The company has also seen success with original programming, such as the "House of Cards" series.
Shares surged 21 per cent in after-hours trading.
Most Popular Stories
- Alabama House Speaker Arrested on Felony Ethics Charges
- 'Fury' Blows 'Gone Girl' Out of the Box Office
- Turkey to Help Kurds Reach Fight in Kobani
- German Intelligence Blames Ukraine Rebels for MH17
- Clinton Rallies Early Vote for Landrieu
- ISIS Seeks to Expand Terror War
- 'Fury' Gets Into Soldiers' Minds: Brad Pitt
- Perez Leads Push for Obama's Job Proposals
- Car Drivers Warned to Get Air Bags Fixed
- Prius Drivers Battle Stereotypes