Netflix Inc., the video streaming company, on
Monday reported a first quarter profit of 2.69 million dollars, or 5
cents per share, on revenue of 1.02 billion dollars.
In the same quarter last year the company lost 4.6 million dollars, or 8 cents per share, on sales of 869.8 million dollars.
The company said it added 3 million new customers worldwide in the first three months of 2013, bringing its total to 36 million customers.
In a letter to its shareholders, Netflix said its customer base "collectively enjoyed ... over 4 billion hours of films and TV shows." The company has also seen success with original programming, such as the "House of Cards" series.
Shares surged 21 per cent in after-hours trading.
Most Popular Stories
- Tablets, Cars Drive AT&T Gains
- 2015 Mazda MX-5 Miata Is Fast and Eager
- Small Businesses Add 3 More Worries to Their List
- DOMA Tech Adding Jobs to Process VA Claims
- Apple Warns of China iCloud Attack
- Job Hunting Is Hard Work
- Tech Firms Flock to LA's 'Silicon Beach'
- Stocks Subdued After Gains Earlier in Week
- Ford, GM Expect to Report Strong Profits
- Consumer Prices Edge Up, Surprising Economists