Netflix Inc., the video streaming company, on
Monday reported a first quarter profit of 2.69 million dollars, or 5
cents per share, on revenue of 1.02 billion dollars.
In the same quarter last year the company lost 4.6 million dollars, or 8 cents per share, on sales of 869.8 million dollars.
The company said it added 3 million new customers worldwide in the first three months of 2013, bringing its total to 36 million customers.
In a letter to its shareholders, Netflix said its customer base "collectively enjoyed ... over 4 billion hours of films and TV shows." The company has also seen success with original programming, such as the "House of Cards" series.
Shares surged 21 per cent in after-hours trading.
Most Popular Stories
- Networks Vie for U.S. Hispanic TV Viewers
- Ad Counts Rise in 2013 for Hispanic Magazines
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief