LOS ANGELES, CA -- (Marketwired) -- 04/22/13 -- In the wake of recent rape cases in Steubenvile, Ohio and San Francisco involving teens posting images of the attacks online, people everywhere are invited to take a stand against sexual assault on Wednesday, April 24, 2013, by participating in Denim Day in LA & USA. On that day, men and women everywhere are encouraged to wear their jeans to raise awareness around sexual violence issues and support survivors of sexual assault.
Now in its 14th year, Denim Day is organized annually by the Los Angeles-based nonprofit organization Peace Over Violence. The campaign, held each April during Sexual Assault Awareness Month, recalls an Italian court case that sparked international outrage when judges did not convict a rapist because the victim wore jeans. The judges ruled that because the victim was wearing tight jeans, she must have helped her attacker remove them, thus implying consent.
"Once again, this is a chance to make a social statement with your fashion statement," said Patti Giggans, Executive Director of Peace Over Violence. "Stand with us to raise awareness about rape and to support survivors."
With the slogan "There is No Excuse and Never an Invitation to Rape," Denim Day will be marked with events around the US, including rallies on college campuses and military bases. Additionally, Denim Day in LA and Denim Day NYC will host high-profile events with local elected officials and celebrities in those cities. Tenacious D (Jack Black and Kyle Gass) and comic actress Retta (NBC's Parks & Recreation) will be among the headliners at "Distressed," an all-star comedy show on Denim Day at Lexington Social House in Hollywood. Also in Los Angeles, students in public middle schools and high schools will take part in Denim Day assemblies and events, thanks to district-wide recognition of the campaign.
To register for Denim Day, please visit www.denimdayusa.org. Already, more than a million supporters from schools, clubs, corporations and government agencies have signed up to wear jeans on Denim Day.
Add to Digg Bookmark with del.icio.us Add to Newsvine
(818) 606-2210 - cell
(310) 914-5000 - office
Most Popular Stories
- 2013 Tech Gift Guide: iPad Mini Still Hot; Chromecast a Great Low-Cost Option
- Dell Offers Undisclosed Number of Employee Buyouts
- Authorities Close to Deal with JPMorgan Chase over Madoff Response
- Apple Activates Customer-Tracking iBeacon
- It's No Yolk: Food-tech Startups Take Aim at Replacing Eggs
- Saab Gets Back into the Game; U.S. Auto Sales Soar
- A Biography of Jonathan Ive, Apple's Creative Chief
- US Consumer Borrowing Rose $18.2B in Oct.
- 2014 World Cup Official Noisemakers Quieter than Vuvuzelas
- Unjustified?: Justin Timberlake's Grammy snub