OTTAWA, ONTARIO -- (Marketwired) -- 04/21/13 -- On Thursday, April 18, a foundation-laying ceremony was held for the new Bamyan Provincial Hospital in Afghanistan. This hospital is an important component of Canada's efforts to improve maternal, newborn and child health in Afghanistan.
"We are pleased that we have reached this milestone and look forward to seeing the new hospital up and running, providing the best possible quality care for mothers and children of Bamyan Province," said the Honourable Julian Fantino, Minister of International Cooperation. "Canada is proud to be delivering on our largest initiative for Afghanistan under the Muskoka Initiative on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health."
The ceremony marked the beginning of the next stage of this project, implemented through the Aga Khan Foundation Canada (AKFC). The project also includes the establishment of a maternal, newborn and child health centre in the new hospital, support to a centre of excellence on maternal and child health in Badakhshan Province, the training of midwives and nurses, a community nutrition program, and health promotion activities.
Canada and the AKFC have been trusted partners for close to 30 years. Our productive collaboration has resulted in a wide range of international development projects including, in Afghanistan, in the areas of health, education, rural and economic development, and the creation of new opportunities for women.
As announced in Economic Action Plan 2013, the new Department of Foreign Affairs, Trade and Development will continue to deliver on Canada's development assistance commitments such as the Muskoka Initiative on Maternal, Newborn and Child Health. The amalgamation of the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade and the Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA) will make international assistance focused, effective, and aligned with Canada's foreign policy objectives.
Please visit the web page for this project, Improving Maternal, Newborn and Child Health in Afghanistan.
Daniel Bezalel Richardsen
Press Secretary to the Minister of International Cooperation
Media Relations Office
Canadian International Development Agency (CIDA)
Follow us on Twitter: @CIDA_CA
Most Popular Stories
- Obama Administration Releases Proposal to Regulate For-Profit Colleges
- Some California Cities Seeking Water Independence
- Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Marries Model Courtney Bingham
- FDIC Files Lawsuit on Behalf of Banks Allegedly Hurt by Libor Scandal
- Chinese e-Commerce Giant Alibaba Gears for IPO in U.S.
- Apple, HP, Intel May Take a Hit from Slowdown in Smartphone Sales Growth
- SoCalGas Reaches Record Spend on Diversity Suppliers
- Obama Seeks to Stay Neutral in CIA-Senate Conflict
- Will Missing Malaysian Jet Prompt Aviation System Change?
- Natural Gas Discovery Could Lead to Cleaner Fuels