US President Barack Obama, Vice President Joe Biden and their national security team had gathered in the White House situation room to follow the developments in the manhunt for a suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings.
The team included FBI Director Robert Mueller, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano, Secretary of State John Kerry, CIA Director John Brennan and other terrorism and security advisers.
Obama had been briefed on the situation throughout the night, a senior White House official said.
Most Popular Stories
- Major Phone Makers Sign Anti-Phone-Theft Pledge
- College Board Offers a Sneak Peak at New SAT
- 'Beige Book' Federal Reserve Survey, April 2014: Full Text
- Salsa Legend Cheo Feliciano Killed in Car Crash
- Miss. Gov. Signs Bills to Curb Unions
- Google Q1 Earnings Dip as Ad Prices Slip
- Hiring and Weekly Jobless Claims Both Edge Up
- PepsiCo Q1 Profits Rise on Snack Sales, Cost Cuts
- Snowden Questions Putin on TV Call-in Show
- Poor Barbie Sales Drag on Mattel