LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM -- (Marketwired) -- 04/19/13 -- Discussions on all things fun are usually incomplete without a healthy dose of MINI. The sales charts would agree as the quintessential British design has proven to be a huge hit since the time it broke cover. Awards have followed with both fans and critics, swooning over those classic flowing lines in appreciation.
Indeed, it was in the 1950's when Sir Alec Issigonis created the iconic shape that was to create its own spot in motoring history. The classic Mini was a three metre wonder with wheels at its extreme corners and an engine offering performance that was sprightly. Minimal overhangs and an interior that offered enough space for four adults and their luggage rounded off a delightful little package.
The MINI brand was reincarnated in 2001, delighting motorists from a new millennium. Staying true to its classic beginnings, the new MINI Hatch sported a taut chassis and an efficient, high powered engine. The entire package was suspended with a McPherson setup at the front, while a unique take on a sophisticated multi-link suspension took care of the rear. Reining in the 116 horsepower were, for the first time on a MINI, disc brakes at all four wheels and an electronic stability control package to keep things steady irrespective of the mayhem on the road underneath.
Over the years, the MINI Hatch has grown to an accomplished line-up that many consider to be the epitome of hatch-sized driving excellence. Motoring aficionados too seem to agree, with UK sales of the MINI range crossing the 50,000 units mark in 2012, making it the best year for the MINI brand since being re-launched in 2001.
The modern day MINI Hatch line-up presents a huge range of choice, starting with the MINI FIRST that features a sensible, no-nonsense 75 hp engine output. Other MINI Hatch models offer a little more power such as the MINI Cooper that pushes out 122 hp, the MINI Cooper D with its blend of everyday performance and diesel efficiency and the MINI Cooper S that has run away with the coveted International Engine of the Year award for five years. At the other end of the spectrum, for those looking for a sportier drive, there are two further options: the 211 hp MINI John Cooper Works Hatch and the MINI John Cooper Works GP, a track focused road going MINI that is available in strictly limited numbers.
Whatever your choice in MINI Hatch, what remains constant in each of the models of the MINI line-up is a dedication to delivering an experience that puts the FUN back into driving.
Most Popular Stories
- 'Beyonce' Tops the U.S. Album Chart
- Adam Levine Wins Big as 'The Voice' Crowns Champ
- Archer Daniels Midland Moving HQ to Chicago
- Singer Ian Watkins Sentenced to 35 Years Prison for Child Sex Abuse
- Universal CityWalk Rings in 2014 with Southern California's Biggest New Year's Eve Party, Featuring Dazzling Fireworks Displays, Three Live Concert Stages, DJ Performances and a Midnight Cascade of 1,000 Pounds of Confetti
- Contest Gives Startups a Jump in Jersey
- The Illuminati Don't Exist, Just Ask Them
- SAC Capital Employee Guilty of Insider Trading
- Senate Sends Bipartisan Budget Plan to President
- Fed Signals Strong Confidence in U.S. Economy